Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

Having a similar issue as previous poster with my Gateway

Customer Question
DX4870 and not being able...
Having a similar issue as previous poster with my Gateway DX4870 and not being able to get any GPU recognized. I have tried updating the BIOS several times, even adding in the "Don't check ROM ID" option, but still nothing. When I power on computer I get the POST beeps and I'm sitting at the screen with the Press Del for BIOS. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Software
12/25/2015
Software technician: Tim, Sr. Engineer replied 2 years ago
Tim
Tim, Sr. Engineer

Hey Jesse, I'm Tim and will do my best to assist you. Sorry you are having issues with your GPU, i know first hand how much that sucks, it really cuts into gaming.

Ok, thanks. What can we do to resolve this?

Dells and Gateways have had a reputation of not allowing some video cards to be added, specifically gaming GPUs, as you probably guessed this is locked down in the BIOS. I do not know of a way around it, and i doubt anyone else does. Also that Dell has a 300W Power supply unless you changed it which is the bare minimum for the GTX 750 ti FTW, but granted it should work. I hate to say it, but Gateway is probably not the way for you to game, if you can perhaps look into building a PC or one form somewhere like ibuypower that sourcess standard parts for their build. I Can't tell you the Logic in Gateways plan here.....They and a few other manufactures are also soldering internal cmos batteries onto laptops so people can not swap the battery out and need to pay for a new unit.

It's a bummer, i know.

If it were me, and i was on a budget, i'd take parts from the Gateway and build my own system.

I have a 700 watt Corsair PSU

Your basically trapped by their motherboard.

then your PS is fine, i was sure that was not it as it would still boot even with a lesser PS, like i said its the motehrboard, or bios - same thing.

The Case and the Motherboard need to go, the case has to go because a new Motherboard will not fit in it. Gateway,Dell etc all use propitiatory cases and motherboards, which is generally the cause of peoples upgrade problems

if want to get another motherboard, say a NVIDIA what other component would I need also?

So if you want to use as much as you cam off of your current build, you should only need to buy a case and a motherboard -

Possibly memory.

That's it? What about memory with the MOBO?

Like i said, your memory may well work - But yeah, you might need to buy 2 Dimms of Memory which is really cheap

If i was doing it, i'd order the memory as well so i had it and try using the memory from the gateway, if it works send back the new memory, or just use it.

CPU, Harddrives, Power Supply are all fine for another system.

Oh, you also need a retail version of windows

there is ZERO workaround for this? That's seems hard to beleive.Gaming is not extremely important, a friend got me into SWTOR and I just wanted to turn the settings up, and also on KOTOR.

I have no reason to lie to you man.

why is there even a PCI E x16 slot? There has to be something that will work

I'm sure some low end video cards work, specifically ones they sell.

I didn't say you lied, but we're not even trying. I've seen other say the problems were resolved, even on this site. It was some kind of upgrade or something

I see no references to success. The problem you are reporting is pretty wide spread. The only way around would be some type of custom bios hack.

Googleing dx4870 and upgrade video card which i'm sure you did, there is no Joy.

With that said, i'm sure there are some cards that will work, but i doubt any of them are decent gaming cards.

That really blows cause the last card was a non refundable refurbished card......
Well, do you have any recommendations for a build? MOBO brand, case size, memory?
your saying I have to purchase Windows again?

Yeah, i can help you there. The Good news is this, Once you move to a standard PC, everything is one size fits all pretty much.

Yup, the windows recovery disk that came with your gateway is locked to it, it wont boot and install on another PC build.

Gateway isn't a "standard PC"?

motherboard controls all, its most likely locked to that exact motherboard, but you an try it.

Some might call it standard, to me and most gamers/tech people standard would use a standard ATX case and a motehrboard that would fit it. Does that make sense?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

it does, thanks for explaining. I'm a console gamer and the PC stuff is new, so I appreciate that.

No problem, trust me i know its confusing. I had this same problem in 1997 when i first started computing, and had a old compaq and my new Voodo 1 card would not work.

That's how i became an engineer, as sad as that is.

Ok, so I have an AT, and I need to get an ATX.

I'm looking at parts, can you give me a rough budget? And tell me how much wiggle room you want for upgrades?

ATX is the standard for Cases and Motherboards. So any ATX case will fit any ATX motherboard, even if the technology is obsolete.

Let me put it to you this was, i have the same crappy ATX case now that i had 9 years ago.

Keep it low but not junk, I have a Best Buy CC with a $750 limit, and I've got maybe $400 that I would want to put into it.

OK, so are you only buying from best buy?

i'm looking on Amazon, which is probably the best bet.

I'm going to start putting stuff while I look at other stuff, feel free to ask about any of it ok?

Mother board.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-MicroATX-Motherboard-H81M-E33/dp/B00F42W70A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451004306&sr=8-1&keywords=i5+motherboard

Cool Master looks like a good case

http://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Computer-Gaming-Desktop-CASE-V01/dp/B011AJRSK4/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1451004681&sr=1-5&keywords=ATX+case

CoolerMaster makes fine cases, since you have your own Powersupply, the case doesn't really matter.

Ok. Everything looks good so far.

Memory to grab in case stock memory does not work (its cheap enough and faster than stock memory, you may just want to use it)

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-HyperX-FURY-2x4GB-1600MHz/dp/B00J8E93G6/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1451004752&sr=1-2&keywords=hyperx&refinements=p_89%3AKingston%7CKingston+Technology%2Cp_n_condition-type%3A2224371011

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-System-Builder/dp/B00ZSI7Y3U

I have to step away for a minute. I'll be back. One question, does that MOBO have the SLI slots for multiple GPUs?

That's all you need Man. You have a dvd rom right?

No SLI. But even if it did, i never recommend it.

Ok, I trust you. I kinda wish I had kept the GTX 960 FTW.....grrrrr
I'm sure the 750 ti FTW will work but still.

Yeah it will, SLI is almost always never worth it. Video cards are not that expensive to warrant two cards, and even with you are at the mercy of the game to support SLI

And SLI and Crossfire never = 100% improvement, it's 80% Best case scenario, and a lot of the time 0%.

your playing the battlefield starwars right?

No, Stat Wars The Old Republic, it's a MMORPG. And KOTOR is Knight of The Old Republic, it's an older game too. I should be fine. But I may get back into Diablo 3, that took alot if I remeber correctly
I know I can over clock the 750, and with it being a FTW edition it should be able to handle even more overclocking

diablo 3 is pretty old now, you should be fine.

Yeah, it can overclock.

Have i answered everything to you satisfaction Jessie?

You should see a big improvement with that new build. You may want to take some time and pick out the case you want, because that case can remain with you for years.

Yeah, I know.I played it before, and I play SWTOR but settings have to be all the way down. And for some reason KOTOR has lines all through it, like sticking into my character and the environment.... weird

Hard to say with that stock GPU - all bets are off with stock graphics.

Anything else i can help with? Are you good to go?

Jessie, i need to step away for a few Minutes. Are you happy with this build?

I'll check back. Please do leave me a rating as i did the best i could to help you.

- Tim

I'm not satisfied with the answer but it is what it is. I didn't want to spend more money. And I'll take a look at the build as a whole a little later.

Sorry to hear that, you did in fact get an answer, of course i can't give everyone the answer they want.

Ok. Talk to you later then
Unfortunately

Good luck.

You do realize that getting an answer does not always = fixed. I'll just put you in for a refund.

Thanks, ***** ***** you sent me was pretty reasonable priced, so it won't be much damage to my wallet.

Yup, no problem. Next time you come here, realize the person helping you does not get paid when you do this.

take care.

I do. And thanks for that.

So you know your abusing the system?

Not true. You've earned my trust and if I need help putting everything together and getting the software setup I will definetly use this and with a succefull work of the project I have no problem paying.But I install CCTV cameras and Access Control and I wouldn't get paid if I came out and told a customer sorry, we can't fix your problem, but here are some solutions. I wouldn't feel right doing that and my boss wouldn't approve of that either. . Fact that happens sometimes, it's part of our business. But building a trust will create people returning and being ready to spend money cause they have someone reliable.
Hope that makes sense. Even though your wanting dollars. Lol

It's fine, good luck.

Software technician: Chris Baxter, Programmer replied 2 years ago
Chris Baxter
Chris Baxter, Programmer

First, you would need a new power supply for the Gateway, as the 300W power supply that is stock for that would not be ideal. Press delete for BIOS if you would like to continue ignoring the power output issues, then find the setting for "secure boot" and turn it off. Turn your "Launch CSM" from "Never" to "Always", restart. This should work to get the GTX 750 ti up and running. (Enabled the BIOS compatibility mode)

While I agree that Gateway is not the best for gaming, I am rolling a Mac OS 10.9.6 iMac All-in-one, also not the best for gaming, but she gets the job done with the right tweaks! :)

I have a 700 watt Corsair PSU. And I already went over the BIOS thing 100 times prior to finally contacting yall. The last tech told me that I could not do anything. That Gateway is too locked down in their BIOS. I don't have any of those options.
There is NO CSM launch, or Secure Boot.
Chris Baxter
Chris Baxter
Chris Baxter, Programmer