Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

I transfered Minecraft game saves from a Mac to a Alienware

Customer Question
Del computer using Dropbox. It shows...
I transfered Minecraft game saves from a Mac to a Alienware Del computer using Dropbox.
It shows the saves file I moved from Mac but when I try to play Minecraft none of my world saves are there?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Software
12/20/2015
Software technician: Michael Hannigan, IT Expert replied 1 year ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, IT Expert

Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

To complete the transfer of the file save, you must locate the minecraft saves folder and then copy the file back to it.

Start by finding your saves folder. You can find all Minecraft folders, including the saves folder, by going in to the game launcher:

1. Open the Minecraft launcher and log in. Choose the option "Edit Profile" in the bottom left corner. Find the button named "Open Game Dir" located at the bottom right side of the Profile Editor. A new window will open containing your Minecraft folder. When you open the saves folder you will see all your saved worlds in different folders
  2. Place the world folder(s) that you want to transfer onto a portable storage device, file sharing software or cloud computing service.
  3. Once the files are ready to be transferred, place them in the new computer's saves folder and they will be available in your list of singleplayer worlds.

When you open Minecraft, it should automatically read the save file once it is there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did that before I requested assistants. The saves show up in the Minecraft folder on new pc but will not work when I open Minecraft.

Is the the "worlds" folder that you moved? Where exactly did you put it on the new computer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I transferred from Mac, the "saves" in the Minecraft folder then I downloaded the Minecraft Program with the Launcher and then I placed the "saves folder" into the new Alienware PC.

Ok... I can't tell by that if you moved from and to the correct places.

On the Mac, it has to be the file from ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft

And on the PC, the only way to put it into the right folder is to open the folder by going to file explorer, then typing

%appdata%\.minecraft

Don't miss the . before minecraft. If you can't tell me precisely where you put it, I can't tell you if you put it in the correct place.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's exactly what I did. The saves look the same on PC and Mac, and they are in the Minecraft folder on PC in saves. I click on them and they are there, however, game doesn't seem to know they are there. Thanks for your help anyway.

If you are running Windows 7 or later, you can create a symbolic link right to the dropbox files, as long as you have dropbox instelled on your computer (so that it looks like a hard drive when you look at your computer files). You have to do this as an administator.

mklink /d "%AppData%\.minecraft" "%HomeDrive%%HomePath%\Dropbox\Minecraft"

That will create a link that the system sees as %AppData%\.minecraft, even though the files are in a different location. I know this is a little out there... but I'm trying to consider every possibility.

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, IT Expert