Tim
Tim, Sr. Engineer
Experience:  Sr. Systems and Network Engineer
75378780

My Advanced boot options menu stopped working. I wanted to

Customer Question

My Advanced boot options menu stopped working . I wanted to fix the issue by doing an upgrade installation of Wim 7 over itself but i get error 0x80070490 saying that i need to have 692 Mb free to store temporary installation files. Currently i have 169 Gb free on a system drive. Why i get this error message?
Category: Software
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

First I would check the drive for errors

Also make sure that you are installing to the correct drive and starting the install from a flash or CD boot drive. Not from within Windows

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This might help you.
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

I have looked it up and go with my original question how are you trying to install the win 7

That error happens when you try to run it from within windows

you need to create an install flash or cd drive and boot from that to do the install

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have paid you $5 . I have got no answer but you have tried to charge the remaining $22 Why? Good thing they are not there for you to take.
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

I have nothing to do with billing. I am just trying to help you and i have asked the same question twice with no answer

are you trying to run the install program from within windows or are you booting off an install cd or flash drive ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
chkdsk /R c: gives no errors. sfc /scannow gives no errors. What else?
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

i am still asking how are you installing it ?

are you restarting the computer and booting off an install cd ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for missing it out i am trying to install from within windows because i am not allowed toloose any data.
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

that is your problem You cant do it that way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never wanted to make you feel bad. Thoss people who run this service for us failed to give full detailed explanation ofb the financial side of it. You may be have no received my money yet but they have already gone from my credit card (all $27). First $5 i paid just to have my question passed to you. The remaining $22 i have paid to get access to your answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I shall get a photo of my BIOS you can see my hdd cnfig it will play very imortant role in this question as i think.
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

I have nothing to do with billing

and you can send me anything you like but i have been installing windows since before there was a windows. You can not install a normal copy of windows through windows. You can run a special upgrade to new version windows from within windows but you can not install the same version from within windows. You just cant do it. The running system locks up the operating system files that need to be replaced. That is why you get the message that there is no space. It can not write those files to the disk and it just assumes that it is because there is no space. In reality it is because they are being used and are locked up by the running system. Either way it can't write them and it will flag an error.

You absolutely need to run the windows install disk by booting to it. After that you can try things like the startup repair or the repair console or updating over the current operating system without reformatting the drive.

But no matter what i would back up the stuff that i want to keep before you play around with it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean i cant do it i know that i can upgrade Windows 7 Ultimate over Windows 7 Ultimate to fix most of the windows problems. I have done it 100 times before. Yes this time it has failed. My goal is to find what hardware or system misconfiguration stands behind this failure. This is why i have posted this question here.
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

You can try it this way. But in reality it is going to shut down the machine to reinstall the windows

You can reinstall Windows 7 using Recovery in Control Panel, under Advanced recovery methods. This method reinstalls Windows 7, either from a recovery image provided by your computer manufacturer, or from your original Windows 7 installation files. You need to reinstall all of the programs that you added, and restore all of your files from a backup. For more information, see Choosing an advanced recovery method.

If Windows 7 doesn't run at all, you can reinstall Windows using your original Windows 7 installation disc. To do this, follow the instructions in "Using the Custom installation option and formatting the hard disk" earlier in this topic.

Note

• Back up your files before you begin reinstalling Windows 7 if possible, even if you're reinstalling Windows 7 on a hard disk partition, and you have personal files on a separate partition. For example, if you have encrypted files, you might not be able to access them after reinstalling Windows. A custom installation replaces the current version of Windows 7 and all personal files.

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

I am going to opt out here because frankly i dont think that you can do it. I can find no microsoft posts saying that you can.

the only posts that i can find about the error that you have say the reason you are getting it is because you are trying to run the disk from within windows and the solution is to not run it from windows.

If you think that you can do it that way and you are not going to believe me than I don't think that i can help you. Because i personally do not believe that it can be done the way you think it can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Partly you are right . Some times you can fix things by "startup repair" option on a original boot cd but not in my case just because this tool does not even see any os installed. However Windows 7 boots correctly 2 out of 2o times. The remaining 18 times it hangs after showing a mouse pointer. At this times mouse pointer and keyboard remain active until i do cold reset but hdd activity stops.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I monitor keyboard activity in such cases by periodically pressing Caps Lock key .
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

In this case, i would honestly do a backup and format and start a new.