Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

Windows notified me of a hard disc problem on my emachine. I

Customer Question

windows notified me of a hard disc problem on my emachine. I have Carbonite backup.
what must I do?
Category: Software
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you.

Sir/Ma'am how often does this message shows like does it shows after each booting?

Is it showing before loading to windows or after it?

Could you please let me know the exact message its showing?

Sincerely,

Note: - Please keep this conversation/Chat page opened to view my replies quickly. You will also get an email notification in your email each time I reply. To reply back to me use the reply box below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
john, my name is Diana
yes it pops up each time I pn the computer
the message is: Windows has detected a hard disc problem. back up your computer (I have Carbonite that was updated 7 hrs ago. Contact your computer company.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the details ma'am.In that error does it show any error code or message that says SMART check failed ?

Please provide the full model of the emachine.

Are you currently communicating to me from the problematic PC?

Sincerely,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. I am 81 yrs old and don't move very fast. No error message that says Smart check failed.
The model # ***** *****
Yes, I am communicating on the problem PC/
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

No worries about the delay and thank you for the details.Usually this message shows when windows fails to repair bad sectors in the hard drive,Which mean the hard drive is failing that is why its saying to back up the data which Carbonite had already done.We can once again try to fix the hard drive error you disc checking tool in windows to do that please follow the instructions.
Press Windows key + E key. Now right click on C drive>>>properties>>>in Tools tab click on check now then you will get another Window in that tick both options and click on start.it will ask to schedule the disk check-up in next restart click yes and restart the PC while restarting don’t press any key because it will cancel the disk check-up process

This process will take sometime.Once the process is done,it will restart to windows see if its still showing the error message and let me know the status,also if its shows a log file of the disc check please copy/paste the results in this page so that i can check it.

Sincerely,

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Ma'am were you able to do the above instructions if so what is the status now?

Sincerely,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John,
All kinds of code is still on the computer. On the bottom of the page it says Port 1 Device error
Press. f1 to resume
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Ma'am i am confused do you mean you saw this F1 to resume message when you turn on the PC or while you are in windows ?

Did the scan shows any error message or did it give you a log file ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, cannot afford more
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I didn't get you ma'am what do you mean you cannot afford,You do not need to pay anything more other than the initial amount agreed,If you are seeing a phone support message for additional charge you can ignore it.Is that what you meant?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

No need to worry about it,you can ignore it now could you please answer my previous question which is "Did you saw this F1 to resume message when you turn on the PC or while you are in windows ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pressed F1 and Windows has loaded
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

OK when you ran the disk scan did it show any errors also did it give you a message that says it have saved a log file....?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It said error, press F1 to resume. I pressed F1 and my desk top appeared. I am now on my home page.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

It seems like the hard drive is failing,there are some other paid tools which you can run and try to fix it but most of them fails so i wont suggest it also it will take a long time for deep level scanning and repairing and if its a physical damage it wont repair.

The best options is to replace the hard drive before that you need to get recovery disc for re-installing windows 7 and applications that came with the PC.

Did this PC came with windows 7 pre-installed ?

How old is this PC?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It said nothing about a log file. Yes windows 7 was installed. I don't know how long I have had this computer. My best guess would be four years.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

First you need to create recovery disc for that you need 2 to 4 blank DVD's do you have it now?

Before that lets see if your PC have the recovery disc creating option still available to check it.

Click Start >>> All Programs >>> eMachines then click eMachines Recovery Management.

eMachines Recovery Management window opens in that see if its showing the option to create recovery disc,just check it do not create the disc's now.Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I click on recovery management, a screen comes up asking if I want to allow Acer Inc. to make changes to my computer
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

You didn't click on restore to factory settings am i correct.just opened the recovery manger and it showed message do you want to make changes am i correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have any recovery discs. I think all this is beyond my computer skill. Can I contact you later.
to answer your question, Yes the Acer Inc screen came up.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I can understand ma'am.The recovery manager is for creating recovery disc's

If want i can remote access to your PC and write down the instructions how to create then once you have blank disc's.Let me know so that i can give you the link to do the remote support.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The restore factory ettings option did not appear
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

The recovery manager is for creating recovery disc's and if want i can remote access to your PC and write down the instructions how to create then once you have blank disc's.Let me know so that i can give you the link to do the remote support.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to have my son help me with this on the weekend. How can I get in touch with you without paying another $36.00?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

You do not need to pay anything else,if you reply to me in this page but this weekend i might be away.I will do one thing i will leave the instructions what all your son has to do and if he have any further doubts reply to me in this page and i will get back to him as soon as possible.Is that OK with you?