Russell H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Proud to have been getting computer technicalities into working order since 1988.
13568747

I have an Asus laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium, and it is

Customer Question

Hi, I have an Asus laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium, and it is stuck on a black screen with an error message. It all started with an update from AVG - that at some point said something about Windows 10, and I didn't pay attention to that part until it was too late. :-( so now the error message says something about not compatible and contact system administrator. I called a number for Asus we got from a Tech at Best Buy, who said we needed a recovery disk. Ordered that and put it in the laptop....nothing. Still black screen with the error message box. Have tried F10, F9 etc... and nothing works. Please Help!
Kind Regards,
Linda
Category: Software
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Have you backed up all your data off the hard disk on your laptop, yet? you ought to before using a recovery disk, which might erase all that data of yours.

What exactly does the error message say, in full?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't let me do anything... Don't have it with me right now.. Will send in a little while
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what the error message is, at your convenience. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey,
This is the message:C:\Windows\system32\authuitu.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK. When does this message appear, or: What appears on the screen before that does?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the message appears as soon as the laptop is powered on. Black screen, with the message in the middle.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

That sounds odd - doesn't the Asus logo appear first, at least?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing but a black screen and the box with the error message, as I stated before. When I got the laptop new with windows 7 home premium already installed, backup would never complete, either on a disk or a flash drive. I told all this to an asus tech when I called the error issue. They said to buy a recovery disk, which I did. When inserted, nothing happens. Same black screen with that error message.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Shut off the laptop. Remove the battery (if possible.)

Leave it that way for at least 2 minutes.

Put the battery back in again, then turn On the laptop, and watch the screen carefully. Does the Asus logo come up? if so, press F8 instantly and press it repeatedly until the Safe Mode screen comes up, all text with a highlight bar across it.

If that works, move the highlight bar up to Safe Mode, and press the RETURN key, once.

Let me know if that works, and what you observe while trying it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do! will have to wait til I get home to try it tho. Thanks!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I hope it actually works, but I should honestly say, it may not. Observe carefully, at least. And let me know, at you convenience. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Asus logo came up.. Pressed f8 til safe mode screen appeared. Selected safe mode and thought yayyyy.... Then the same exact error message appeared... Only larger this time. What now?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Well, at least it does boot up normally - you must have suspended the defective bootup, or something.

Shut off the laptop by removing the AC Adapter, then pulling out the battery. (To make sure the defective bootup isn't suspended or saved.)

Then go through the same, only look at the other options on the Safe Mode menu. Is there a

Last Good Bootup Configuration

choice? try that one next. Then if that fails, there are other options that can be appropriate in this case, such as

Startup Repair

and then for others after that, the choice depends on other factors, so please consult with me if the previous two also fail, before choosing other Safe Mode menu choices!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last good bootup looked promising.. Went thru several file checks. Then the same error message box appeared. :-/ so went into startup repair... Brought up system recovery options..to access recovery options, log on as local user.... Has user name in box... Wants a password... The one i used to logon normally does not work?? Also says to access the command prompt as well, log on using an administrator account... Geezzz i'm lost... Help!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got logged in... Duhh lol tried startup repair... Then ssystem recovery from a date back in August..... Now says system restore did not coplete successfully...failed to extract the file c:\program files (x86)\Internet Explorer \je proxy.dll) from the restore point. The restore point was damaged or was deleted during the restore. Then it goes on about advanced recovery.....
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

For that prompt in the image you posted, the 'log on as an administrator account' might help.

Also... at the Safe Mode selection screen... try booting up into

Safe Mode With Command Prompt

and see if that, at least, can completely boot up.

If not:

It could also be - if you have an install media disc for Windows, that your data should be backed up to another device, and your entire Windows system be reinstalled from the install disc for Windows.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Safe mode with command prompt didn't work either. The restore disk the asus helpline suggested i buy doesn't do anything.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If the restore disk doesn't do anything, then I presume it just spins a bit and the same problem happens over again?

If so, you need to go into the BIOS Setup - gotten into by pressing a key very soon / immediately upon turning On the machine - and change the Boot Order so that the CD/DVD Drive is placed above C: Hard Disk in the Boot Order, so that the computer will actually boot off the CD/DVD disc drive that the restore disc is already loaded into.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got this far... See message attached... Can't change it to enabled.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK... move the

TSSTCORP CDDVDW

entry from its current place (P2) up to P0, so that it will be first in the boot order. (The 'Disabled' entry is irrelevant to this task and to the status of the DVD disc drive, I think.)

In some BIOS Setups, selecting the DVD drive's entry, and pressing the PgUp key once, may move it into the proper place in the boot order.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Selected p0 & pressed enter ... Same little box appears that i sent picture of earlier?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Do the BIOS Setup on this PC have any Help indication? How about selecting p0 and pressing PgUp ?

Or how about pressing F1 and getting Help with which keystrokes will do what in this BIOS Setup version?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
F1 shoes the same list that was already on edge of screen... F10 asks if i want to save and exit the p0 boot ... Said yes goes back to screen about windows not being shut down properly ... What mode do you want to open ... Acts like its doing something.... Then goes back to original error message
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If you're going to repair this yourself, you'll have to figure out how to move the DVD-ROM drive entry to above the p0 Hard Disk entry, there in the BIOS, under the Boot Order.

If you can't see any way to do that, then you'll have to give the laptop to a shop to fix. I don't see any other alternative at this point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok ~~ thanks for all your help.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome - good luck with it.