Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

My external Seagate Free Agent Go Flex - 1 terabyte is not

Customer Question

My external Seagate Free Agent Go Flex - 1 terabyte is not accessible. the power cord is working, the ports on my computers are working. the light is blinking and then turns off. It has been coming on & off for the past week and today did not work at all. How can I recover these documents?
Category: Software
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your external drive issue. Before I can provide a solution to your problem, please tell me the following:

1. Are you using a Windows computer or a Mac?
  2. If you are using Windows, are you using Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 10?
  3. Is the external drive listed in Disk Management window? If you have not tried this, please do the following:
    • Plug the Seagate Go Flex drive to a USB port
    • Locate and right click on "Computer" (in Windows Vista, 7, 8, or 10) or "My Computer" in XP
    • Then click Manage
    • In the dialog box that opens, locate and click on Disk Management in the left panel
    • There check if your external drive is listed there.

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further. A rating is only required when we are finished.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows - HP laptop ProBook 6465b
using Windows 7
the external drive is not showing up.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. So this is a laptop computer. Since this is an external drive, the most common cause of it being faulty is the USB cable being loose or defective, or it can also be caused by a bad USB refresh rate in your Windows 7 computer.

If the problem is caused by a faulty USB cable, then your drive should be intact with your data and you just need to try other USB cable or USB assembly if you have any spare of this just to test if it is the cause of the problem..

Now, if your drive is intact and your USB cable IS NOT faulty, then the problem could be with your computer's bad USB refresh. Please try the following:

1. Use another USB device like an external mouse or keyboard. If you do not have any of these, then you can use a USB printer
  2. Plug this USB device in any USB slot and check and recheck to see if it is working. In case that you have no USB mouse or keyboard and you are using a USB printer for these steps, you need to open Devices and Printers and watch your printer icon there. If the USB cable is plugged, the printer icon should turn green or shows active, if the USB is unplugged, the printer icon should turn gray
  3. Now, after plugging that USB device, and checking that it is working (external mouse or keyboard is working, the printer icon shows active), UNPLUG it
  4. Then immediately plug the Go Flex to the USB slot where you just unplugged the other USB.
  5. Then text if your GoFlex drive is working this time.

I hope that helped.
Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the usb port, different cords and a different computer the problem is NOT ports, cords or computer. the problem is the external drive. the light is blinking and turning on & off. There is a random grinding sound in the SEagate drive. Did you see my email to you? Please respond asap.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I have read the original problem description that you posted. But please try the procedures I just gave you. The logic there is IF the problem is NOT your external drive and only a bad USB refresh rate of your Windows 7 computer, you can revive the external drive by unplugging a WORKING USB device and immediately plugging the GoFlex external drive there in the USB slot where you just unplugged a working device.

Please give that a try and let me know so that we can confirm that indeed your external drive is faulty or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just tried your suggestion (removed a working usb plug for a mouse and quickly plugged in the Seagate external drive) and it didn't work. I'm pretty certain it is the external drive. Now,what should we do, do you think?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back and I am very sorry about your issues. Unfortunately, it appears now that this is a physical or mechanical problem of your external hard drive. We cannot use any software to recover the data inside it, though there are several recovery software out there, since the drive will no longer be detected and initialized by a computer system in its current condition now.

So your only option to recover your valuable data is through Seagate's In-Lab Recovery service. This is the only method that the data in your faulty drive can be recovered using their specialized recovery machines.

To know more about this In Lab Recovery service from Seagate, here is the link:

http://www.seagate.com/as/en/services-software/seagate-recovery-services/in-lab-recovery/

There are other data recovery companies that can recover your valuable data in that faulty drive besides Seagate which manufactured your faulty drive. The other data recovery provider is Kroll Ontrack and here is their link:

http://www.krollontrack.com/data-recovery/

The this one is this link which guarantees no charge when no data is recovered:

http://www.datarecoveryusa.com/

I hope that helped.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to pay for your services and the Lab Recovery service?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for writing back.

Yes, this In Lab Recovery is a paid service from Seagate, the manufacturer of your external drive. I highly recommend using them because they are the manufacturer of your external drive though they too can recover data from any brand of disk drives.

Regarding my service here, yes as we are a pay-for-answer company and a technical support group but we are not affiliated with Seagate. If there are just procedures to recover your data using practical or doable steps for you to follow, I could have given them to you so that you do not need to pay for Seagate's In Lab Recovery service. But since your device is no longer detected by your computer, no recovery can be done so the only way to recover your data is through an In-Lab Recovery service.

At this point you have placed a deposit. I only receive credit for my time and help on the matter if you rate positive (3 to 5 stars/faces).

It is up to you if you wish to credit me for my time or not. Your deposit is refundable should you choose you do not want to pay. But please DO NOT rate me negatively (1 or 2 stars/faces) if you want a refund and you can just leave my answer and help unrated.

Here is the information on refunding:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund

Again I am very sorry if we cannot recover your data since your drive is no longer accessible hence no recovery software can be used to recover your data. I hope I at least shed some light on the situation a bit for you and saved you some time.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Jess