Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I can't connect to the dropbox.com page from my laptop. It

Customer Question

I can't connect to the dropbox.com page from my laptop. It won't let me sign in. It isn't syncing my dropbox folder. When I attempt to sign in, I get an error message that says that I can't sign in because I am offline.
Category: Software
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Are you using Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 10?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Windows 10. I was on 8.1 and had the same issues.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Can I remotely access your Windows 10 computer so that I can directly assist you in fixing this DropBox issue while you watch?

Remote access is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee ($15) regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.

Please let me know if you want this remote option.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No thanks Jess. As this is my first time using JustAnswer and I have not had any prior dealings with you, I am not 100% comfortable with letting you have remote access to my laptop. Could you let me have your written advice?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thank you for writing back. Remote access is completely safe as we are using a legitimate remote software (ScreenConnect) and you will be watching your screen as I check the problem. We can chat right there so it will be a faster mode of help. Anyhow, I respect your decision over the remote session.

Now, based on the error message that you mentioned, it appears that the issue is with your DropBox account.

Please do not use the DropBox software installed in your PC for the following steps that I give you. Instead, us a web browser like Internet Explorer or Chrome or Firefox (any browser that you are using) and try to login to your DropBox account there.

Here are the steps:

1. Open any of your web browser
  2. Go to https://www.dropbox.com/
  3. Click on the Sign In button at the top right corner
  4. Sign in with your DropBox account and test if you can still access your DropBox account
  5. If not, then please try to reset the password ***** prompted by DropBox

Keep me posted with your results so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't carry out those steps as I can't connect to dropbox.com. Something is refusing to allow me access to the dropbox.com webpage.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.

I believe that is the main cause of the problem. Are you able to access other websites without any connectivity issues? Like Gmail? AOL? Yahoo?

What do you get on on screen when accessing dropbox.com?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can access any other page on the web.The message is "Hmmm, we can't reach this page."Or, "this page can't be loaded".
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.

The possible difference between the dropbox site and the other websites that you might be browsing is that, dropbox is using HTTPS (secured) and the others may just be HTTP.

Let us check if your computer cannot access HTTPS. Please try to access the link below:

https://join.me/

Are you able to access that link? Or getting the same screen as DropBox?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jess - just picking up where we left off last week.I can access the link https://join.me/
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information.
This time, since you are now able to access secure sites, please try to access https://dropbox.com and see if you can access it this time.
Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I couldn't connect to the dropbox page and got this message:"The connection has timed out
The server at dropbox.com is taking too long to respond.
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have Kasperski and have turned that off so there is no firewall or any security on my laptop at the moment. I have also switched to a public connection just to make sure there is no firewall.I have tried accessing dropbox via Edge, Google Chrome, Firefox ... Arrrghhhh!!
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I am very sorry about your persisting issues. That is a strange one. Please try to PING the dropbox site and see if your computer can reach it. Open command prompt, then type the command:

ping dropbox.com -t

That will do a continuous ping for the dropbox server. Please check it you got replies or timeout responses.

Keep me posted.

Jess

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know how to PING.
How do I "Open command prompt, then type the command: ping dropbox.com -t " ?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.

Ok, click on Start button and in the search box, type CMD. In the search results that show up, click on the one with the blank icon. That is Command Prompt.

Another way is to right click on the start button, then check if there is Command Prompt there, click on it.

When command prompt is open, there type the ping command.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got about a hundred timeout responses.
Should I stop it at some point?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.

Did you get any replies? Or everything was a timeout?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've stopped the PING.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.

But when you did the ping, did you get any replies or are they all timeouts?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All time outs.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for writing back.
This time, please try the built-in troubleshooting tool from Microsoft. Here are the steps:
1. Right click on the LAN or network icon found in the system tray
2. Click "Troubleshoot problems"
3. Select the top option that says "I am trying to reach a specific website..."
4. Enter the complete URL of DropBox
5. Then click Next
Keep me posted.
Jess