Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

My other computer has 7 on it. I am connected to the internet

Customer Question

My other computer has 7 on it. I am connected to the internet but but the browser won't connect to websites. The proxy is not checked, I have run anti virus softwares, and now am at a lost. It now seems to search but then goes by to the start page. Please help
Category: Software
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 2 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer.
Can you do the following and tell me the results please:
Hold windows key and press R
type cmd and click OK
this will open a black window.
in the black window type
ping -t 4.2.2.2
then hit enter
and tell me what is the reply you're getting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
IP address must be specfied
Please type the command as i typed above:
ping -t 4.2.2.2
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(###) ###-####
this issue needs troubleshooting, it will be difficult to discuss this over the phone because i also would like information from you which is why doing it here is the best method.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nevermind the call...something is happening
Please tell me what is it doing. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is still running [reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=83ms TTL=58} the 83 ms changes from 82 through 86
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I only have IE on the computer now. Is that a problem?
That's good. This indicates, there is a connectivity. Now please do this:
right click avg and select temporarily disable protection.
then test and see if it lets you access websites?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can't see the temporary disable protection
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can delete but I can't see a disable
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am running out of time...can I continue this tomorrow?
Please do this:
Hold windows key and press R
type inetcpl.cpl
click Advanced tab
click Reset
put check on delete personal settings
and click reset again
apply/ok and re-open internet explorer
then tell me if it lets you access websites?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
found it in another spot
Ok let me know what happens, and yes we can continue tomorrow. We can leave the question open. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks
welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am back again. My IE says it is "unable to open search page" Does that give you a clue?
Please hold windows key and press R: Type ncpa.cpl and click OK. Then choose your network adapter, right click on it and select Properties. Then select to highlight TCP IPv4 (Internet Protocol Version 4) and click properties again, a new pop up will open, in this pop set preferred dns server to: ***** ***** alternate dns server to 8.8.4.4 then click OK. Once done, test it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still the same thing. I have downloaded IE onto a usb from this computer but the other won't let the setup start until I open an internet connection which I can't. Any more clues?
Did you set the dns to the one i sent?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes...I even double checked
Okay. On a USB can you try and download a program and then run it, this will allow me to connect to your computer
If you go to www.teamviewer.com you will see the program there, download it on a usb and run it on the computer we're having issues with.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Let me understand....you want me to download a program on this computer to install on the other computer so you can see what is happening? Can you do that when the internet doesn't seem to be working?
When you did the ping test last time, it did show that there is internet
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am doing it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thought it did
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
teamviewer is installing
After it has been installed, open it and send me the ID and Password ***** see there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got the message again-message "The TeamViewer service could not be started. The installation will be continued." Not sure what happened
Hold windows key and press RType msconfig and click OKgo to the services tab, select Enable All and apply/ok then reboot and see
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just can't understand what is happening. It is still not working. The User Account control comes up about allowing the program to make changes to this computer, I click yes and it looks like it tries to come up for a second or two, then nothing
It looks to me that the Windows is severely corrupt. I would suggest that you reinstall the operating system, which would be a quicker fix then troubleshooting it. If you have any important data on this machine, please back it up to a USB. And tell me the model # ***** this machine so i can see / check if factory restore option is available
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could this be a Java problem?
No, it doesn't seem to be a JAVA issue. Looks like services are not running, user account control is stucking, applications aren't installing, this indicates corruption.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Had to find a magnifying glass... 584037-001 00196-100-392-812 product key 78g3h-tvkkv-j4wwp-rcbxr-bt7yv (letters capitals) This is the info for the Windows 7 Home Prem OA HP
Model: delphl (I think) Model No: D40
Is this what you need?
Is this a DELL brand?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HP
You will need to create a bootable disc to boot this and reinstall Windows. Would you like me to provide you steps for creating a bootable disc/usb?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes please
Please refer to this link: http://appuals.com/create-windows-bootable-usb-or-dvd/ i. You need to download Windows 7 Home Premium, before you do that, right click Computer and select Properties, check the field that says System Type: if yours is 64 bit, then you will download Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) 64-bit and if your's is 32 bit then you will download Windows 7 Home Premium (x86) 32-bit - Once the disc/usb is created, reboot your computer and then change the boot order (set first boot device) to USB or Disk (this is what you created). Whatever media, you use, it will be formatted, and any saved files on it will be deleted. Once you have this done; and booted into the SETUP; let me know here so i can provide instructions with the setup
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You must think I am a complete moron. I am on the webpage and the page grayed out with a white box on it. Won't let me escape either. I do have Ghostery on it my computer
Can you try opening it on a different browser? seems to open fine here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The MS download tool site seems available. Shall I use that one
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It did come up with IE. I will continue with that one
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the three 32 bit options are not available. It takes me to another screen for Windows or Office downloads and need the product key. Should I proceed?
What is your system type (32 bit or 64 bit) ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
32
Try the links at the bottom of this site: http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-7-home-premium-free-download-iso-32-bit-64-bit/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This looks like it is going to take awhile, (five hours) Judging from how long you have already been helping me, I think your shift is soon over. I will get this downloaded and try again tomorrow, ok?
Thank you. That's no problem. Keep me posted here with the results.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am back and have a bootable with windows 32 on a usb
Now please boot your computer via the usb and tell me if you get to the Windows Setup
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I turn on the computer and the usb takes over?
It should not take forever, just a few seconds
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It ignored the usb at start up. Do I go through my computer and start the setup? Was I suppose to change something to see the usb at start up?
Reboot the computer and enter bios, then change boot order to be USB as first boot device.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know how to enter bios.
when you reboot the computer, look on the screen for F keys, there will be a mesae saying F2 for bios , press that to enter bios.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mine had esc which system diagnostics. It is saying F9 is to select boot device but the choices are Optical disk drive Notebook Hard Drive or Notebook Ethernet F10 has BIOS and under the system config there is Custom Logo (disabled) Display Diagnostic url (enabled) CD-Rom boot (enabled) SD card boot (enabled) Floppy boot (enabled) PXE Internal NIC boot (enabled) The boot order: is Optical disk drive, Notebook Hard drive, USB floppy, USB CD-ROM, Notebook Ethernet, SD Card.Now I am in a Windows Boot Manager...not use how that happened
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is asking me to choose an operating system to start, or press TAB to select a tool:
Where is it asking you this and did you set first boot to USB?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am trying to get to a place I can do that. Apparently this isn't the place so I will esc it. and try F2 again
Okay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am in F2 and now where do you want me to go? It gives the options of system information, start-up test, run-in test, Hard disk test, Memory test, battery test, error log, exit
I think it is F10 for bios. Reboot and go to F10 for BIOS then under the system config, choose USB as the first boot device and , press ESC and save changes, then reboot
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Choices: File, Security, Diagnostics, system Configuration
Choose System Configuration
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Choices: Boot Options, device configuration, built-in device options, port options, set security level, restore security defaults
Boot Options
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is Custom Logo (disabled) Display Diagnostic url (enabled) CD-Rom boot (enabled) SD card boot (enabled) Floppy boot (enabled) PXE Internal NIC boot (enabled) The boot order: is Optical disk drive, Notebook Hard drive, USB floppy, USB CD-ROM, Notebook Ethernet, SD Card.
Change boot order and set usb as first boot device.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
USB floppy ok?
That looks like external USB Floppy; but try it and and if that doesn't boots from the USB then try USB-CDROM
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
changing to usb cd-rom. it seemed to by pass it
Good. Is it now showing the setup screen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
now I can't esc or F anything at start up. Tried three times
What does the screen shows?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can't I do through my computer and select the file to set up?
We need to do a clean install. That option works better for upgrading. We can try creating a new user account to see if that resolves issues. Can you eject USB, change boot order back to what it was and login to windows.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
logged in
Click Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts & Family SafetyCreate a new user account as administrator, log off the current account and login to the new accountTell me if makes a difference
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not a swearing person but this is getting me close. it prompts for a password ***** then doesn't come up. Goes back to the user screen
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The original does work
Do you mean when you log off and try to login it asks for a password ***** then it hangs up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess so.
It takes some time to load, please enter password ***** wait a few minutes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Finally...what do you want me to do? a screen just popped up with welcome to the LTCM desktop communication client and another with a welcome to your new HP PC/HP Advisor
Ignore any unwanted software prompts, to get to the desktop and then check if internet works
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It says Internet explorer cannot display the web page and has a Lunch HP Network check button.
Launch it, and tell me what does it says?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It can't fix it and wants me to call HP support. The picture does show something is broken.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Network Information does say that the Local IP address is Unavailable and the Internet IP address is unavailable
Click Start -> type cmd and click OK then in the black command prompt: type ping -t 4.2.2.2and tell me what does it says?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it has lots of reply but a few request timed out to start out but not lately
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is pausing sometimes but no message
Can you type me one reply
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=93ms TTL=54
In internet explorer, type 64.233.169.106 and hit enter. Tell me what does it says?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unable to open the search page
In command prompt, type ipconfig /releasepress enterthen type;ipconfig /renew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
under start menu, right?
In the black command prompt
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What are you looking for? I have several media state...:Media disconnected
Not looking for anything; i want you to type these commands, exactly as i typed:ipconfig /releasepress enterthen type;ipconfig /renewand press enter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried without spaces, with spaces and still get the same thing. I am sure I am typing the right letters and format
see this image:https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/1292i073FF9D73512F5E9?v=mpbl-1
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mine has
Connection-specific DNS Suffix : Home
Mine has
Media State : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS suffix
type ping -t 4.2.2.1 and tell me if it stills sends replies or of it times out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mine has
Connection-specific DNS Suffix : Home
Mine has
Media State : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS suffix: (blank)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the confusing message...my media is disconnected
type ipconfig /renew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no time outs from 4.2.2.1 I have typed ipconfig /renew. Still disconnected
Please reboot the computer; and then see?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
after reboot went into cmd and typed ipconfig /renew. Got the same results
I have run out of ideas unfortunately; for this reason i will need to opt out and open the question to other experts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think I need to/want to just reformat the computer. Thank you for your help and persistence. I appreciate it.I am not sure how to proceed with the other experts. Do you email me when you get an answer?.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and welcomePlease do the following in Internet Explorer Click Tools (the gear wheel top right) than Internet Options Click on the General Tab and Delete all Temporary Internet Files. Than click the Advance Tab and click ResetThen restart the computer and tell me if it still has the problem please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
should I toggle Use recommended security and compatibility settings
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, you only need to do the steps as I listed out as this takes care of it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry...still can't display the page.
I need to feed kids. I am thinking of giving up
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, after reviewing everything you have done, I advice on a reinstall of windows, all other repair options you have gone through.Can you tell me the make and model of the computer and I can then tell you how.