Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

I would like to know what the security risks

Customer Question
Hi, I would like to know...
I would like to know what the security risks associated with using OWA (Outlook Web Anywhere) when the Exchange server is located in the internal network of a large organisation. I would also like to know what the security risks associated with using Lync as a remote access tool, when the Lync servers are located in the internal network. Something very general and broad will do, but technical would be great!
Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Software
7/12/2015
Software technician: Jason Jones, Computer Technician replied 2 years ago
Jason Jones, Computer Technician

If anyone wishes to ask Jason a question directly,
they can do so at the following page: www.JasonFixedit.com

I am an Information Technology Professional with over 15 years of professional experience. I am the technician assigned to your case today. I look forward to working with you and resolving this problem.
Your question is a bit broad. Are you referring to security risks regarding your information, your account, data, or something along those lines when logging in from within your own network or from a remote network?
I will be standing by.
Thank you,
Jason
I am writing a risk assessment and system security plan based on an organisation's remote access system. The organisation uses Outlook Web Anywhere and Lync (which I assume can be used to establish remote connections). I am worried that my data assets (within my internal network) will compromised as a result of someone using these enabled remote access tools. I am also worried about the confidentiality of the information communicated across these remote connections. Is there anyway the confidentiality and integrity of these connections could be compromised?I'm not overly worried about the security risks surrounding accounts, but more so the confidential data and information communicated across these networks.
I see that you created a duplicate question.
I will close this one.
This is not a duplicate question. OWA and LYNC are quite different to Citrix.
Software technician: Wes, Consultant replied 2 years ago
Wes
Wes, Consultant
Is this a production issue / real world question or a question related to coursework?
Real world. However, I would like to close this question.
Software technician: Michael Hannigan, IT Expert replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, IT Expert
Hello. My name is***** can provide you with some additional assistance. If I understand your question correctly it's regarding the data as it's transmitted about which your concerned. This is not an issue with either lync or OWA because the connection is secured with SSL (secure sockets layer). This is the standard type of encryption for secure connections to financial institutions and other high-security sites where privacy is paramount. The connection is very safe and secure and if we are assuming that the logins are secure, then the entire process should be. So to summarize, there is no way to "eavesdrop" on the data connection to and from either.
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, IT Expert