Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

My computer is a N56VJ - DH71. I found that it was taking more…

Customer Question
My computer is a N56VJ...
My computer is a N56VJ - DH71. I found that it was taking more that 4 hours to update and presumed that there was a problem. I therefore used the power button to shut down the computer. I has not booted up since.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Software
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2015
Software technician: dresteve2000, Computer Engineer replied 2 years ago
dresteve2000
dresteve2000, Computer Engineer
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question! Sometimes updates can take that long, or possibly there was a disconnect in your internet during that time and the updates hung up. How far does your machine get when you turn it on now?
It goes to "Preparing Automatic Repair". Then it goes to a Recovery page with "error message # ***** and recommendations. Then it powers itself off.
I see, thanks for that information. So you would want to try to Advanced Startup Options...depending on your computer you may or may not be able to do this without the installation media. You can try to tapping "F11" repeatedly when you first turn it on
Sorry I am not sure why I tried to accept your request for a phone call but it did not go through, i sent an offer back your way
It has reverted to the Automatic Repair Screen. I will give it another try.
OK, please let me know if it does not work, I can still do the phone call anytime you like
I am in a loop with Preparing Automatic Repair.
So is it just sitting there trying to do something? Or did it restart on you again?
Phone call appears to be adding 40.00 to the cost. I need to manage the costs.
Sorry I don't control the billing, but how much did you want to pay and I can submit the request to my supervisor
I had already agreed to a maximum of 58.00 for satisfactory results.
OK, we don't have to do the call, just for some reason I had a request come through for one. We can definitely work through this chat though. so can you try to access "advanced startup options" do this by tapping F11 when the computer turns on
F11 has not been getting past the Automatic Repair.
Do you have the install CD for your computer?
F11 is not taking me to advanced startup options. Should I Escape and go to advanced in BIOS?
Right so F11 may or may not just depending on how windows was installed. You would need the recovery/install CD at this point to boot in to repair
Don't remember where I put that CD. I've been looking for it.
The only CD I am able to find is the Drivers.
Right..so would need the CD or if you cannot find it you might be able to use any Win 8 install CD , otherwise you can also order a replacement through ASUS
Is this downloadable?
No unfortunately not downloadable
Could I taske another look around and get back to you later?
Sure no problem, just reply here and I will get back to you ASAP.
OK. Much thanks.
No problem, hope you find it.
Not found. I have downloaded WinPE. Is that a workable option?
You can use WinPE to boot and run diagnostics, but I doubt that you have hardware issues since this happened out of nowhere. Most likely Windows 8 just needs a repair...which would require the boot media.
I also have driver restore which I did not use because I have absolutely no idea how to use it.
I suppose it is time to call it a night. Until whenever. Thanks muchly.
I have downloaded OSGS14-WindowsSetupBox-32bitand64bit-English-4141408. Would this help resolve the problem?
I don't think that would work...we need to locate an Windows 8 installation file
The following is the info on the download page.
Windows 8.1 Download
* * * * *
Description
This is the official download, requires a retail key for Windows 8.1 and will allow you to create a Windows DVD or bootable memory key.
Do you have Win 8 or 8.1 though
Windows 8.1 64 bit is the OS.
OK, might work then, can you burn that install as a bootable ISO?
The system I am using has rejected the CD's I have attempted to burn it to. I therefore copied it to a USB Memory Stick.
OK, as long as it is bootable
I suppose we will soon find out.
Can we resume tomorrow. I am getting far too drowsy to be useful. Much thanks.
No problem, just reply back here and I will respond ASAP.
Perhaps, first of all, I should apologise for not getting back to you. I was unable to do so because I had to prepare two (2) lectures for Saturday 27 June 2015 and the preparation time ran out. Accordingly, after discontinuing the chat, I slept for two hours and then continued throughout the rest of the night and all day the following day. I am a fairly mature person and that took a toll on my body. Having to use an older slow computer with limited memory was quite a challenge.
In the meanwhile, my problem with the ASUS N56VJ-DH71 is no closer to a solution than when I first contacted Just Answer. However, my account has been Debited with US$58.00. Appreciate if at least US$53.00 of that transaction is reversed, since It seems inappropriate to have to pay despite not arriving at a mutually satisfactory solution.
Additionally, since I was charged before the problem was resolved, I shall discontinue with this request for your assistance.
I wish to thank you for your attempt to assist. I will send a photograph which I took a few minutes ago, of the Recovery Screen on my ASUS Computer as verification of the status of that computer.
I did not make any phone call. I discussed that last month that I do not propose to pay for any phone call at your price.
Hi I am sorry about the unexpected charges, I am not in the billing department and have no control on that. You can contact customer care to resolve the questions regarding any billing
So at this time you do not wish to continue the repair process?
I do not. Having a computer that is not booting up, being unable to find my installation disk and having a debit to my Bank Account for services that were not completely rendered is a bit too much for me at this time.
I understand your frustration and I am sorry about that. Please do contact customer care to discuss the billing issues and to request a refund.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist