Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I am a musician with Windows PC and a Samsung Galaxy tablet.

Customer Question
I just bought a Yahama...
I am a musician with Windows PC and a Samsung Galaxy tablet. I just bought a Yahama DTX562 electronic drumset. I recorded 4 drum tracks. They sound great (good quality) through my headphones. I downloaded them to my PC (Windows 8.1). They sound horrible.
I assume Windows Media Player has a standard Midi interface that can't accurately re-play the Midi files (Midi Sequence = .mid). My first question is what Midi Player software can I download for free that might allow me to adjust the tones on the drums coming
in on my tracks. Possibly it needs to be for drummers. When I went looking, I found mostly software to create drum tracks not just play back. My second question, if we get this one resolved, is how do I get tracks downloaded to my Samsung tablet (android).
I have a work around for now, but the Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader APP is for Apple products. I couldn't find one for Android. I'M LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE IN MIDI TO ANSWER MY QUESTION.....
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Software
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/21/2015
Software technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 3 years ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your midi files issues. For Windows, what I can suggest for your MIDI playback is the free software called VLC Media Player.
Download it from this link and install it:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
After installing it, right click your MID file and then click Play with VLC Media Player and see if your midi files play normally. Here are the supported files for VLC Media Player:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html
Regarding your second question, in order move or access files from your various devices, a cloud-based solution is the best approach. That means, you stored your files securely in the cloud, and in your PC or Samsung tablet, just access them. There are free cloud services available nowadays like Google Drive or DropBox.
The idea is, if you want to "make" your files accessible across your various devices, you upload a copy to your cloud account. Then whichever device that you use to access your cloud account it has access to your files as well. So when you upload the MID files to your cloud account, use your Samsung account to access it, and download the MID file to the Samsung tablet.
There are 2 cloud-based solution that offers free minimal storage:
A. Google Drive
If you have a Gmail email account, you can readily access your Google Drive. For your PC, you just need to go to this link:
https://www.google.com/drive/
You need to sign in using your Gmail or Google account and will get a 15GB of FREE storage space. It means you can upload ANY files (not just MIDI) for portable access with your various devices anywhere you are.
For your Samsung you can go to the Play Store and search for Google Drive App to easily manage your files in the cloud.
So if your PC has the MIDI file, using the PC, upload the MIDI file to your Google Drive. Then in your Samsung, open the Google Drive App and you will see the MIDI file there, then download it and play in your Samsung tablet.
B. DropBox
The second best cloud-based storage service is DropBox. It works in similar manner with Google Drive. To get started, use this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/
You need to create a Dropbox account, download the DropBox app in your PC and also in your Android (via Play Store).
Like Google Drive, use any of your device to PUT FILES (or upload files) to your DropBox account and access them or download them in any of your devices.
I hope that helped.
Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!
If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.
Thank you!
Best regards,
Jess
Jess, I appreciate your effort, but I think this question is beyond your pay grade. First, the list available of products supported by VLC does not include .mid (at least I couldn't find it). Second, I tried playing it and got the following message:
Codec not supported:
VLC could not decode the format "MIDI" (MIDI Audio)
This is why I asked for a MIDI expert.
Third, the problem isn't where the files are stored (for the Samsung problem), it is that I can't get the files off my Yamaha DTS562 Drum module to the Samsung. The only app available appears to be for an Apple (not an Android). If I could get it off the module, I could put it on a jump drive and move it to a PC (so the cloud isn't needed). Remember, I have a work around for this, so it isn't a critical problem.
Thanks for trying.
Please open this question for other experts to reply....
Thank you for writing back. I checked the feature list for VLC and it shows standard MIDI supported there. I can investigate further using my own VLC installation here.
Regarding the second question, I am very sorry about the confusion since I thought the MIDI files are in the PC. This "App" feature is basically limited by the manufacturer itself since they only build an iOS versions of their apps.
I will now opt out so that other experts can assist you further.
Thank you.
Jess
Software technician: Tim, Sr. Engineer replied 3 years ago
Tim
Tim, Sr. Engineer
I agree with Jess on trying VLC -
I need someone who has worked with MIDI files. For musicians, MIDI is its own animal and needs special tools. In a nutshell I need MIDI software that will allow me to play Midi files and adjust the tones, mix the music, and then convert and download it to a WAV file. Possibly this might need to be something specific to electronic drums. So far, I can't find the software to work this out. As I noted, unfortunately, I am using Windows software and a Samsung 10.1 tablet (Android). Everything I have found is written for Apple products.
Please allow others to view my question.
This question is open to everyone. i would still encourage you to try VLC, but the question is open. Regards, Tim
Tim,I did try it. If you look at my response to Jess, I said the following:
Second, I tried playing it and got the following message:
Codec not supported:
VLC could not decode the format "MIDI" (MIDI Audio)Thanks for your efforts.
Gotcha, that makes sense. VLC comes base line, and you need to download many plugins, see if this helps, i bet it will. https://wiki.videolan.org/midi - Tim
Tim, I see you are requesting that I rate your service, but you haven't helped me. I went to the Wiki page and attempted to follow the instructions to download an .sf2 file. I downloaded Fluidsmith 1.1.6 folders. No where is there a .sf2 file. Going back to VLC, I tried to follow the instructions for 'Configure SoundFont in VLC'. I reached the AudioCodes2 preference, but there was no FluidSynth option. Right now VLC is useless to me. Please recommend another product that can read my midi files or assist me with FluidSynth.
Hey there man, sorry you were bugged that was the website bugging you, not me. It sends out requests like that. I'll research FluidSynth and other items that may help. I'm sorry you are not getting the answer you need, this is kind of an off ball one for us, i hope you under stand.
Tim
Tim, No problem. I just can't believe there isn't someone on JustAnswer that knows Midi. Can't you put out a 'feeler' for someone on JustAnswer to help a musician with a Midi question?
Software technician: Tim, Sr. Engineer replied 2 years ago
All i can do is leave it open, experts don't really know each other persey, if that makes any sense, we're all independent contractors, i can ask some other people i know. It seems like we almost need a musician who has done this. Let me ask you this, are you 100% sure it can do this? sometimes that is the answer here, now i dont think thats the deal here, but it looks like going over the above details perhaps there is something else thats needed as far as a player that may not be free, i can look into that.
I emailed a musician buddy and he ran it through his software, which is very old. It worked fine, but what he had is not a solution for me because I'm on Windows 8.1. Everyone else I talk to says, this should not be an issue (reading my Midi file), but I may not get the quality coming from my Yamaha drums (they have a proprietary Midi process). I also found information about MSFT doing away with being able to select Midi Synths with 8.1 (all use Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth with no way to choose another synth). That is why it is necessary for me to find a product (non MSFT) that reads and processes Midi. Midi is like XML. Find the right translator and this should work.
i gotcha, well, i'm out of ideas at the moment, i'll continue to try and help - i'll open it up to more experts. Tim
Software technician: Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer replied 2 years ago
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.
You are right, you need special programs to work with MIDI files. Normal media players can play midi files but it will not give correct output.
Please download and install the following programs.
Anvil Studio - http://www.anvilstudio.com/
Synth Font - http://www.synthfont.com/
MixPad - http://www.nch.com.au/midi/index.html
Regards
Jins
Jins, you are right, this is a process so I'll try to be patient. So far, here is what I did with your instructions.
1) Downloaded Anvilstudio, noticed that it was set up to use the standard Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth (this doesn't work, sounds very bad for drums). Found a way to change the Synth to DSK Drum Z - Akoustik. Sounds different, but still very poor quality.
2) Went to www.synthfont.com and tried to download their package. Received the message: SynthFont2Setup.exe could not be downloaded. I already have some Synthfonts downloaded, so maybe this is already on my PC.
3) I already tried NCH Suite on my PC. Could not download a new Synth with it.I have a feeling you are doing the same thing as Jess and Tim - you are sending me to links you think will help. Do you have Midi experience? Right now I have 9 software Midi products people have told me to download. I need someone that can help me with one they know works, especially for drums.
Hi, I am not a musician, but I have experience in assisting friends to work with MIDI files of different keyboards. I think you are complaining about the output sound quality when playing MIDI from computer. In fact, a Multimedia PC (MPC) Specification requires that all MPC systems include a music synthesizer, and the synthesizer is normally included on the audio adapter card (the "sound card") along with the MIDI interface function. Most PC sound cards included FM synthesizers with limited capabilities and marginal sound quality. With these systems, an external wavetable synthesizer module might be added to get better sound quality. ( Recently, more advanced sound cards have been appearing which include high quality wavetable music synthesizers on-board, or as a daughter-card options. )
Please check the image on : http://www.midi.org/images/tut_fig3.gif It shows a PC-based MIDI system. In this system, the PC is equipped with an internal MIDI interface card which sends MIDI data to an external multitimbral MIDI synthesizer module. Application software, such as Anvil Studio, sends MIDI data to the MIDI interface card in parallel form over the PC bus. The MIDI interface converts this information into serial MIDI data which is sent to the sound module.
Regards
Jins