Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

I need to replace 4 windows xp client machine on a windows

Customer Question
server 2003 using active directory...
I need to replace 4 windows xp client machine on a windows server 2003 using active directory. I would like to not have to reinstall the programs and printers. I have the 4 replacement windows 7 pro computers ready to join the domain with their DNS pointing to the server. I can join the server but can not recover the user desktops and data who can help me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Software
6/4/2015
Software technician: dresteve2000, Computer Engineer replied 2 years ago
dresteve2000
dresteve2000, Computer Engineer
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question! Are you trying to recover the user desktops/data through the roaming profiles? You might not have had that set up on the XP machines before.
There are other ways to move the data over though, what all are you wanting to move? Like desktop shortcuts, IE settings, My Documents, etc.?

I am simply replacing the working xp work stations with windows 7 workstations and when I log back on with the new computer I want the users desktop to appear. currently with the XP computers I can log on to any of the users and that users desktop appears on whatever computer I use. So I want the new computers to act in the same manner. I hjave installed one and it does connect to the domain. but it has a new fresh desktop when using any of the user names.

I understand. Have you checked event viewer on the new machine after logging in to see the errors? could be a few different reasons why it is not loading. check the event viewer for "User Profile Service" related events

I am not onsite yet this morning. I was thinking I needed to do some kind of server magic command on the server. it seems like such a simple thing to have the desktop folllow the user names.

do you do any kind of remote access support? if so what would you charge?

Yes, I can do remote support. It kind of depends we would need to diagnose the issue from the client side first to see where to begin. For something like this I would ballpark around $120 to get it all done. Could be less or could be more just depending what you find on the event logs

cool if I can get one done with you using remote access software like team viewer I can do the rest I have so years experence in PC's and networks but very limited experence in server 2003 =. I do have some experence but not active directory I will be onsite in two hours how can I contact you and will that work for you? I am***@******.***

you can get me at***@******.***, no problem, I can handle the server side for you. Have extensive experience in 2003, 2008, etc. We can use teamviewer or JA screen connect also

ok I emailed you Thank you!!

one last thing are the programs actually installed on the servers user profile or are they installed locally on the machines will I need to reinstall for example office on the new computers or when they log in with the correct user profile is it installed already on the server

office is going to be installed locally only. most software is going to be local to the client

ok thank you. will you be available in an hour and a half? a little after 9 15 AM my time?

Sure, not a problem, I'll be here. Just email me or call
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist