david
david, Software Guru
Experience:  6+ years of software expertise
65089077

Thank you time. I have a wordpress site www.expresswaymu

Customer Question

Hi...thank you for your time. I have a wordpress site www.expresswaymusic.com
and when i plug in the search term wedding dj nyc my site comes up on the 2nd page of google with our main site url instead of our specific page www.expresswaymusic.com/wedding-dj-nyc
i noticed a competitors site comes up on the first page of google and goes to their specific page and not the main page of their site. My question is how can i get specific inside pages on my word press site to show up higher (or show up at all) on Google? is there a setting i've neglected to check? Thank you again.
Category: Software
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
I would be glad to help. It is very easy to filter specific pages from web search results but getting a specific page of yours to the top of a specific search query is much more complicated.
To solve the first problem, you can try either method described on this page:
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/guide-to-using-noindex-nofollow-and-disallow/
If you only want to remove a few specific pages, I would use the meta-tag option. But if you want to hide an entire directory or folder then the robots.txt method would be easier. I can walk you through either method if the instructions on that page are unclear.
To solve the second problem you would want to get a link to your page on as many pages as possible, including the pages of the top web results for the query you mentioned. This task is usually very difficult to do since it requires you to establish relationships with other websites, but this is why many people are employed as SEO (search engine optimization) consultants and are paid to perform this exact task for a particular business or client.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
If you still need help with any part of your question please let me know. Or if you are satisfied, please remember to leave a rating on the question page here:
http://www.justanswer.com/software/94gb4-thank-time-wordpress-site-www-expresswaymu.html#
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
I will keep your question open until you have a chance to reply or rate on the question page here:
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
I would be glad to walk you through the steps if you need help. Please let me know if you still need help, or please leave a rating if you are satisfied with the solution. You can do so on the question page here:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you. Yes, I would appreciate you walking me through the steps. This would be covered under what i've already paid $56..correct? Thank you. David
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is. So do you want filter a few specific web pages, or do you want to filter an entire folder of your web-site from search results?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please bear with me as this subject is a bit confusing to me. What would "filtering" actually do? I have so many pages and urls on my website....
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
Once you apply the filter to a web page, once Google does its next scan (usually within a week) it will remove any of the pages you have filtered from showing up in any search results.
The page will still be accessible, but you will no longer see it as a search result.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when i type in expressway music to google i get this:
Expressway Music
www.expresswaymusic.com/
Providing DJ, live music and Karaoke in New York City. Offers song search, music news and list of previous client and venues.
4.9
7 Google reviews
· Write a review
· Google+ page
10 E 39th St #1126, New York, NY 10016(###) ###-####‎In-Store DJs - ‎Our Clients - ‎Venue Partners - ‎FAQPlease notice the in-store djs-our clients etc on the bottomHow do i manipulate it so i can have the pages i want listed on there...ie.wedding dj, mitzvah dj etc?thank you
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure I understand the question. When you search for "expressway music" and see the categorized result at the top of the page, you want add or remove pages from the category listing?
If so, what changes specifically do you want to make?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to be able to choose the category links listed at bottom..the first one now says IN store dj's...i don't want that there i want weddings, Corporate, Mitzvahs, Contact Us and maybe a few others..how do other companies have their links show up there?
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
The feature you are referring to is known as Google Sitelinks and currently this process is maintained automatically by Google. However, there are two things you can do to change the way your Sitelinks appear in search results.
1. Since the process is automated by scanning your website, if you change the order of page links or change the names or descriptions of each page link, this data will eventually migrate to the Sitelinks in search results.
2. You can also sign up for a Search Console account through Google, which gives you the ability to demote specific Sitelinks of your site. Instructions for this process can be found here:
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/47334?hl=en
Please let me know if you need any help trying either of these suggestions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi David..this is VERY HELPFUL...thank you. I am going to try this now and will be back if i have any questions. I like your service very much. David
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi...in wordpress where do i find setting to change the order of page links?
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure there is a straightforward way to simply move around the links. Instead I would do it as a series of swaps. First figure out where you want a page to go, then swap the title, description, and link of that page with the one that is in it's location and vice versa. Then keep doing that until they are in the order you want.
For a simpler way, it will depend greatly on the theme you are using, and if you want to do more than just swap pages.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi...my theme is Swank (a premium theme)i'm sorry but am not sure how to move around links...where do i find the links to move around? I'm usually a very quick learner but i'm pretty stumped on this....thank you.
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
If you go into your page settings for each of the pages that are shown on your homepage, you can try changing the order of the pages, and that might change how they are displayed on the homepage. You can find page order by following the instructions here:
https://en.support.wordpress.com/pages/page-attributes/
Your first page should be set to 0 and the second page 1 and third page 2 and so on.
Again, I'm not sure if this will work based on your theme, but that would be the first thing to try if you don't want to swap the pages manually.
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know once you've tried my previous suggestion. If it did not work let me know and we can try something else.
Or if that did work, please remember to leave a rating here to let me know.
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
If your theme is not compatible with my previous suggestion, please let me know. If you no longer need help, please remember to leave a rating here on the question page: