Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

We scan documents to our network which are saved

Customer Question
Hello, We scan documents to our...
We scan documents to our network which are saved in PDF format. We then mark up these documents by hi-lighting, adding comments, etc. For some reason, we are now unable to hi-light the documents without first performing OCR on the document by going to View – Tools – Recognize Text – In this file. After the document is OCR, we can then hi-light. Is there a default setting in Adobe that will allow the OCR process without having to do it on each document. We did not change anything in our environment and are perplexed as to why this has happened. Your assistance is appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Software
5/26/2015
Software technician: Richard Hall,
 replied 2 years ago
Richard Hall
Hello my name is ***** ***** attach a document that has not been rendered using OCR so I can see what is going on. Also, are you being prompted for the document to be rendered via OCR and if not, would that solve your issue? Also, what version of Adobe are you using?Thanks,Richard
See attached. When we open the document from the saved network location, it does not prompt us to OCR, however, if there's a way to do it in the background that would be helpful. We're using version 11.0.11. Is there a default to OCR in adobe.
Software technician: Richard Hall,
 replied 2 years ago
One quick thing you can try before we get started is by going to edit and preferences, then scroll down to reading, then on the right where the selections are, there is a section for 'Read out Loud' make sure all of those boxes are unchecked. That might fix your problem immediately if those boxes are checked.Thanks,Richard
That didn't work
Software technician: Richard Hall,
 replied 2 years ago
That's fine. I'm creating a custom rule for individual files.You can autobatch multiple pdf's at once too, if you weren't aware of that.
what does autobatch mean.
Software technician: Richard Hall,
 replied 2 years ago
Let's say you have a folder with 100 pdf's, you can have all of them OCR'd at once.
OK. But my question is can we set adobe to automatically OCR the documents once we scan them into the network. For some reason we were able to automatically hi-light the documents without having to perform OCR routine, now we can't and that's my issue.
Software technician: Richard Hall,
 replied 2 years ago
I created a custom action. You can download it here.http://www.wikisend.com/download/650992/Auto%20OCR.sequIt works on a pc by pc basis.As far as your other question goes, to have the file automatically rendered once it is received, I will check into that for you.Richard
What does this custom action do.
Software technician: Richard Hall,
 replied 2 years ago
There is no document open feature in adobe. So It won't run on open. Then next best thing, you click a button and it performs the rendering process.
Software technician: Richard Hall,
 replied 2 years ago
But it sounds like you want it that way when you get it if possible.
Yes, we have to click a button and it performs the OCR process which allows us to mark up the document, but I don't want to have to do this for every document, even doing it in batches. Two weeks ago, we were able to mark up the document without having to click a button to perform OCR.
Software technician: Richard Hall,
 replied 2 years ago
You mentioned network drive, do you have a sys admin that may have made a change that caused this to stop working?
Software technician: Richard Hall,
 replied 2 years ago
I just saw the note about your it person, you had to have had an app running at the network level, perhaps on a server, what was their take on the situation?
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist