Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

I have a Windows 2008 SF Server. We have two drivers, R and

Customer Question

I have a Windows 2008 SF Server. We have two drivers, R and S. Friday, every employee had access to the drivers and everything is working. Today after we only logged in, the R and S driver say they can not be accessible by anyone and if I try to change
the permissions or even the ownership, the system says I do not have permission to do so (I logged in as an Admin).
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
First, can you restart the 2008 server then have the employees restart their computer after the server is restarted and running.
Tell me if they can then connect please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried that, the employee workstations were already off but I went ahead and restarted the server and once that was up had the workstations restarted but still no connection. As the Admin on the Server, I tried logging onto the workstations but it still did not connect merely saying I did not have permission either.
I also got onto the server and tried to access the R and S drives but they are still saying I do not have permissions. The Server has the R and S drive on it. So I am unsure what else to do.Last time this happened, I merely was able to change the ownership as the Admin (on the Server, could not do this on the workstations) but it's not letting me do this either.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Where are R and S drives? Are they hard drives on the server? External drives?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are hard drives on the Server. The Server is connected to what is called a Drobo. Instead of connecting to a tower, it's connected to an actual Server with a large memory.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
So the server can also not even access these drives which are its own hard drives, or drives on the Drobo?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. It's like on a C Drive, you can have three users - Guest, Admin, Standard users. Someone or somehow, the permissions for the folders under the C Drive get changed to where no one, not even the Admin can use them. But they are still there. It's similar in my situation.
Usually, as the Admin, I can log into the system hard drive (on the Server) and change the ownership, then changer permissions. If that does not work, I also try "copying" the R and S drive onto the Server and it somehow resets itself and I just have to reset the permissions. But this time, it's not working. The Server just keeps saying I do not have permission.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, try to do this please
Please click on Start->All Programs->Accessories, then right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator.
type in
chkdsk r: /f
[ress enter and tel me what happens please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did it on the Server and one of the workstations (both logged in as admin)
The Command prompt came up. However, the command on the workstation is not showing the correct identification and the Server is.
The workstation simply says "C:\Users\(my name)>
The Server shows "C:Users\Administrator>"
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes thats normal
Then you type in the command I gave please
chkdsk r: /f
On the server
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
"Windows cannot check a disk through a network"
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
oik, so this is a network disk, not an internal disk like C drive.
Can you power off the Drobo and shut down the server.
Wait 10 minutes
Power on the Drobo and wait 5 minutes, power up the Server and tell me if you can from the server access the drives please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still same thing
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, it looks like the Drobo has faulted.
Can you connect another computer to it please and tell me if this can read the disks please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
same thing and I tried with two others
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, are they two seperate drives in the Drobo or one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
mmmmm I think two
I actually tried this:
I switched back to the main server like it was already set up. But I took the drivers out and put them in different slots, restart the Server, and then I had to reconnect the drives (thus renaming them) and then connecting the workstations to the Server and then adding the permissions and drives to the workstations. But I am connected.However, now some of my files are gone :-/
I can't seem to catch a break lol
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Its the Drobo device then thats failing and not reading the disks correctly.
If you can, insert them directly into the server, bypassing this device and try to read them this way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
From my understanding (I could be wrong), the way the previous IT guy set us up was to have the Drobo and then the modem and computer monitor. The Drobo connects to everything, so if the Drobo is down, our entire phone system, internet, and everything would be down. That is what he told me.....
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, a Drobo is a hard disk enclosure but if other things are running from the hard disks meaning thats how he set it up, then this can be the case but its not a normal setup.
But we are now at this point as all signs point to the Drobo as failing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay, so I am now connected but missing some files that were there Saturday when I came in....so what do I do?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
The only chance would be to download recuva and run a scan on the drives and see if you can recover them.
Recuva is free and you can download it here
http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva
You click on download latest version in the top right.
If this does not recover the missing files they will be lost sorry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do I run this on the server?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It can be run on any computer connected to and seeing the drives so which ever is easiest for you to run it on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay I just tried on a Workstation and the Server...
Workstation - The R and S Drive do not even appear
Server - the Drobo drives do not appear but the R and S do. I tried going to the file location but its not showing up.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, if the files are not showing up they wont be recoverable sorry.
But from all the symptoms you have explained and this issue, all signs point to the Drobo as faulting as I would really look at having this replaced as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I replaced one of the drives about two months ago
would that also be a cause?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Not likely as both drives have an issue, which is why it points to the actual unit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So you're saying the entire unit should be replaced/repaired?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If there are two hard drives in it (separate) and as we see they both have this problem, and using the unit on another computer gives the same problem it confirms its not the server, or the individual hard drives and points to the entire unit being defective and will need to be repaired. We ruled out all other causes for this.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen or smiley faces, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you