Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

Who know well about clonezilla, I'm trying to

Customer Question
For experts who know well...
For experts who know well about clonezilla, I'm trying to restore a cloned image made by clonezilla to another new computer(same model). But this new computer has SAS system but the old one has sata system. is this gonna be a problem restoring?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Software
5/16/2015
Software technician: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 2 years ago
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer
My name is David.
Newer models of the same computer often use different chipsets which may not be compatible with the older models. However, as long as the image you captured has the drivers for the SAS storage controller installed, or that the SAS storage controller is supported by the generic Microsoft drivers (if the image is a Windows operating system), then yes the image should work with the SAS system. Comparing the exact storage controllers supported by the old and new models listed in the computer specifications is the best way to know for sure aside from restoring the image to the new system.
Hope that helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.
Thanks,
David.
I restored the image to the new server, turned it on, tried to load windows, shows blue screen briefly, reboot the computer, and repeats. The old server dell t410-service tag FPBBBM1 and the new server is dell t410-service tag 3TPJ1L1, can you check if they compatible to restore cone using conezilla? the new computer is set up as RAID but not sure if the old one is set up as RAID. Does this matter if one is RAID and the other one is not?
As long as the new computer is setup for hardware RAID then RAID should not be an issue because hardware RAID is invisible to the operating system. However, on the new computer make sure the BIOS is configured to boot from the RAID array and also check the RAID controller BIOS settings in case there is also a boot setting for the controller, then try again to boot the image.
In reviewing the two systems it does not appear that the two storage controllers are compatible. What I would do in your situation is try installing the drivers for the new hardware on the old system then take another image of the system using Clonezilla. Then apply the image to the new system again and test to see if it will boot.
If it still will not boot then attempt to repair the boot sector so that it points to the OS as this may change when moving the image to new storage hardware. You can do this by following the instructions at the URL below:
https://neosmart.net/wiki/recovering-windows-bootloader/
If you do not have the old hardware, and if you have access to VMWare or other Virtual Machine software, then you could run the image as a virtual machine, install the new hardware RAID controller drivers, then capture the image from the virtual machine, apply the image to the new hardware, then boot the new hardware using the old image.
Thanks,
David.
Can you please tell me how to make the BIOS is configured to boot from the RAID array and also check the RAID controller BIOS settings in case there is also a boot setting for the controller?Installing the drivers for the new hardware on the old system means, connect HDs to sata cable not sas cable or?
First, determine whether the old system uses the BIOS or UEFI boot mode. To do this press and hold the F2 key immediately on reboot. When the BIOS setup screen appears use the arrow keys to move the cursor to the Boot Settings selection and press Enter. If the old hardware is configured for UEFI boot mode, then go to the new server hardware and follow the same procedure to access the Boot Settings, then change the boot mode to UEFI and then press the F10 key to save the changes, and then use the arrow keys to navigate to the Exit Screen to save settings and exit the BIOS settings screen. The computer will reboot and test whether or not it can now boot using the image from the old server hardware.
If it does not boot after changing to UEFI or if BIOS mode is set in the old hardware so that no UEFI change is required, go back into the BIOS screen and use the arrow keys to navigate to the SATA Settings screen and then enable (turn on) the SATA controller and set each of the SATA ports to Auto. Then save the settings and exit the BIOS screen. Then connect the hard drives to the SATA cables and boot the system. You may need to reconfigure RAID and reimage in order to boot into the OS.
If this does not work please let me know the type of OS you are using (based upon the older server hardware I am assuming Windows Server 2008 R2 however would like to confirm).
Please let me know if that helps or if you need further assistance.
Thanks,
David.
The old system uses the BIOS and the new system is also BIOS so I didn't change to UEFI boot mode.You said I may need to reconfigure RAI and reimage in order to boot into the OS but I don't know how so I just connected the HD to SATA cable and enabled the SATA controller and set to auto. Then tried to boot it but still wont boot and shows this massage:
Window failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and the click next
3. Click repair your computer.The windows server 2008 is installed.Do I need to reconfigure RAID and reimage in order to boot into the OS still? If so, can you please tell me how?
What I mean by "reconfigure the RAID" is that if the drives are configured as a RAID 1 set, for example, if the RAID controller no longer recognizes the two drives as a RAID 1 set, then you may have to configure RAID 1 after changing to SATA, then reimage, and then try to boot.
So when you changed to SATA, did the drives retain their RAID configuration?
I'm sorry but I understand SATA set up but I don't really know much about RAID. However, if you can give me instruction how to configure the RAID, I can follow good.
Ok, so first reboot the computer and watch the POST messages and let me know if the POST messages for the RAID controller state that the drives have a RAID configuration or if they are listed as independent disks. If you can please get a picture of the POST messages about the disks and post it here so that I can review.
Thanks,
David.
Attached the photos of post massages when I boot up the computer
0.jpg0.jpg1.jpg1.jpg3.jpg3.jpg4.jpg4.jpg5.jpg5.jpg
attached the photos as you requested. please review and advise.
My apologies for the delay.
It appears that SATA is enabled however the LSI RAID card does not recognize the hard drives. How many drives are plugged into the SATA ports?
Also, during boot up there should be a message prompting you to press a hot-key such as CTRL and R at the same time to configure the LSI card BIOS. If there is then reboot, press the key specified, then follow the instructions at the link below to configure RAID:
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/05/dell-tutorial-create-raid-using-perc-6i-integrated-bios-configuration-utility/
Configure RAID 1 if you have two drives connected and configured RAID 5 if you have three or more drives configured. Please let me know if you have any questions after stepping through the tutorial.
Thanks,
David.
on dvd and one hd are connected to SATA port
I don't see CTRL and R message to configure the LSI card BIOS when boot up
Please advise
My apologies for the delay. Please capture a screenshot/picture of the POST messages regarding the RAID controller. There is usually a hotkey sequence such as CTRL-R (common on Dell) or a function key (such as F9 or F10) specified for configuring the RAID controller.
Then post it here so I can review.
Thanks,
David.
Like I said, I don't see CTRL and R message to configure the LSI card BIOS when boot up. Previously I attached all the photos I took when it boots up
Ok so if it is a RAID controller, there should be software installed for configuration. Is there a message to enable the controller BIOS? (I did not see one in the screenshots).
if not shown on the screenshots, then no message. I took all the screenshots when boot up
Please advise
My apologies for the delay. I am puzzled - the screenshots show no indication of a hot key sequence that can be used to access and configure the controller, yet that is exactly what is needed to configure RAID on the system.
At this point I think it best to open this question up to other experts that may have additional ideas.
Thanks,
David.
syseng
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer