Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

Today my daughter used her laptop to watch a movie online.

Today my daughter used her...

Today my daughter used her laptop to watch a movie online. She used the Chrome browser to watch the movie. Her laptop runs Windows 7. Her movie got stuck, and the laptop made a loud beep for 2 or 3 minutes. My daughter lost patience and, instead of pressing Alt F4 to close Chrome, she pressed the on-off button to turn off the laptop totally. Since then, the laptop will not boot, not even in safe mode. When I try to boot it up into safe mode, it gets stuck at classpnp.sys Please help.

From my research on the Internet, I understood that getting stuck at classpnp is usually a hardware error. The laptop was bought used, so it may be that this is the problem. But the fact that the problem happened right after my daughter did what she did, makes me suspect the problem is software related. I just want to add that there are no peripherals attached to the laptop at all when I tried to boot it into safe mode, nor were there any peripherals attached to it while my daughter was running it.

In case it matters, here is the spec of the laptop:

MSI MS-10342B-035 (M660) Core™ 2 Duo Notebook Barebone, Socket M, Intel® 945GM, 15.4" WXGA TFT Glossy, SATA, DVD±RW, Webcam, Integrated Intel® GMA 950 Graphics

Mfg. Part No. 10342B-035

Item Code. NBB-MSI-10342B035

Thank you.

11/2/2013
Andy, Computer Engineer
Hello!
I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today. Please Reply to me with doubts / questions till you are 100% satisfied.

Do you have any data on the laptop that is important .... or is it Okay if we try a factory reset to restore the laptop to facotry settings (deleting all personal data) ?

a factory reset is fine

Have you received any Recovery Disc along with the laptop ?

I have no recovery disk, nor do I have a second computer running Windows 7 in my home, nor do I have any CDs of Windows 7. I do have the license key that came with the laptop, however

No worries. Now, plug in the AC adapter in that laptop.
Turn on the laptop, at the first screen with the "MSI" logo repeatedly press "F3".

Do you get a screen with "Windows Setup [EMS Enabled]" written somewher on it ?

I did what you said. What I get is "Windows boot manager". It says: "choose an operating system to start, or press tab to select a tool"

the only operating system available to choose is Windows 7. The only tool available to choose is Windows memory diagnostic. What do I do now? It also gives me the ability to specify an advanced option by pressing F8

Press F8 .... let me know what options you get

I did so. I can choose from: repair your computer, safe mode,safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, enable boot logging, enable low resolution video, last known good configuration, directory services restore mode, debugging mode, disable automatic restart on system failure, disabled drivers signature enforcement, start Windows normally

Please select "last known good configuration"
and hit Enter key

Let me know what happens ...

I will do so but I tried it before and it didn't work because it asked me for a password XXXXX I didn't have

Please try and let me know what happens

I tried. I am seeing on the screen now the words "Starting Windows" The Windows logo is flashing, telling me to wait. it's about 3 minutes now that the laptop is stuck in this state. When something happens, I will let you know. Thank you.

Sure, please let me know what happens.

Its worth waiting for 10 - 15 mins too.

it's been 15 minutes now and nothing has changed. The good part is that the computer does not seem stuck, since the Windows logo is still in motion. How much longer should I wait with this to see if it gets us anywhere?

It shouldn't take this long in normal state .... but lets wait 30 mins or so and if its still stuck then restart the laptop and follow same procedure and time time select " repair your computer" ... and let me know what happens

ok

Reply to this when you have tried above

I told it to try to repair the computer. It is giving me 2 options for user names. For each one, it is asking me for the password. I have no idea what passwords to type for either of them.

The choices I am given are:

HomeGroupUser$

MSI

I'm pretty sure that the second one above, MSI, is what the technician who repaired the computer set up for me.

it will not repair the system unless I give it the password XXXXX one of these usernames

Are you able to follow instructions given on this link : LINK ?

Let me know

it doesn't work for me. When I press and hold the F3 key, I don't get the system recovery screen. I just get what I told you earlier: the Windows Boot Manager

Don't press and hold F3 .... keep tapping (on and off) from the moment the computer reboots.

Let me know result

I tried that too. Same effect. I still get "Windows boot manager".

It says: "choose an operating system to start, or press tab to select a tool". It also lets me press F8 for advanced options, but when I do F8, none of the advanced options are "system recovery"

Try F11 ... and try each F key ... 1 to 12 ....

Let me know result

do you mean I should turn off the computer, and try all those keys as it boots up?

Try 1 key at a time ... and restart everytime .. .

I tried F11 as you suggested. I received a screen asking me to select my boot device. The choices given me are:
my hard drive, my DVD drive, and "Network". The last choice surprised me, since I didn't expect to be able to boot from the "network". It says
Network: Realtek Boot Agent.
Should I try a different F key or should I pursue something from this screen?

This option has to be used when You have the recovery disc OR windows installation disc already inserted in the CD Drive

So lets try F12 ...

I have gone through all of the F keys except for F6 and F7.

I will let you know after I test those 2 keys.

I am writing to you now because something interesting happened when I pressed F10. it gave me the ability to edit the command

/NoExecute=optin

it also let me edit the path that Windows uses to boot from. Is there anything to do on this screen, or should I continue with my remaining 2 options, F6 and F7?

Hi

Please continue with remaining two options

I did the other two keys, and got nothing special.

(By the way, nearly all of the F Keys gave me the same screen that the F3 screen gave me)

Now what am I supposed to do?

Now, the only options you have are :
1. You need to ask the original laptop owner to provide you the Recovery disc for this laptop.
2. Other option is to get hold of a Windows installation disc (from a friend, etc) and use that to reinstall Windows.

If its a software problem, this will resolve it and things will be back to normal.

If problem persists, then its a hardware failure and you need to get it checked at a local laptop repair store.

I am very sorry for giving you possible bad news, but unfortunately this is the only honest answer.

Let me know if you need further information via the REPLY TO EXPERT button

Please go ahead and RATE this answer with (Good / Excellent) SMILEY face so that I get credited for my answer from this website.

Thanks and take care!

Assuming I had a Windows 7 installation disk, how would I use it?

I assume I would just go into the BIOS and tell the laptop to boot from the CD drive first, before it boots from the hard drive. (And of course I would put the disk into the CD drive before doing so) --- but what about the Windows 7 license key? Would I have to purchase a new license key for Windows 7? I already have a license key, the one that came with the laptop.

I have a feeling that if I use someone else's Windows CD, the CD would allow me to enter the license key I already have, so I'd be OK. Is this correct?

If so, it means that all I really have to do is just get a copy of any Windows 7 installation CD (I assume that such a thing cannot just be downloaded from the Internet).

(I also assume that if I reinstall Windows, the data in my hard drive will not be wiped out. Is this correct?)

Thank you.

Would I have to purchase a new license key for Windows 7? I already have a license key, the one that came with the laptop.
You can use the license key that is present on the laptop.

During installation process you should get option to preserve data or to do a clean install.

Thanks and take care!
Andy, Computer Engineer
Andy, Computer Engineer