Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I have a Chromebook that I whitewashed--can I undo?

Customer Question

Category: Software
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 years ago.

Michelle :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Michelle :

Follow these steps to reset your Chromebook to its original factory state:

1. Click the status area in the lower-right corner, where your account picture appears.

2. Select Settings and click Show advanced settings at the bottom of the page.

3. Find the "Powerwash" section and click Reset.

4. In the dialogue box that opens, select Restart.

You can also reset your Chromebook from the sign-in screen by holding down the keysCtrl+Alt+Shift+R and clicking Restart.

Michelle :

If you have a Chromebook Pixel, Samsung Chromebook, or Acer C7 Chromebook, press Esc+Refresh then hold down the Power button.

Michelle :

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley below to complete the rating and end the chat. If you have any question or need more help please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-yezxb1l4- :

Ha

Michelle :

were you able to follow the steps

JACUSTOMER-yezxb1l4- :

it says on my screen Chrome OS is missing or damaged...

Michelle :

If you see this message, you can first try to perform a hard reset on your Chromebook.

You can perform a hard reset by pressing Refresh+Power for the following Chromebooks:

• Chromebook Pixel

• Samsung Chromebook

• Acer C7 Chromebook

• HP Pavilion 14 Chromebook

For other Chromebooks, you may either need to remove the battery or push a reset button with a pin to perform a hard reset. To find the reset instructions for your particular device, use the selector below.

Find the hard reset instructions for your device

If the above process doesn't resolve the issue, continue the recovery process.

If you still see this message after performing a hard reset, please proceed to the next Step

Michelle :

nsert a USB flash drive or SD card into your computer and follow the instructions below:

Chrome device instructions

Windows instructions

Mac instructions

Linux instructions

Step 3: Reinstall the Chrome operating system

1. Start your Chromebook.

2. When the "Chrome OS is missing or damaged" screen appears, insert the USB flash drive or SD card you created into the USB port or SD card slot on your Chrome device.

3. Wait for the Chromebook to boot up from the flash drive.

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen.

5. On successful installation of the Chrome operating system, you will be prompted to remove the USB flash drive or SD card.

6. Remove the USB flash drive or SD card when prompted, and your Chromebook will automatically restart.

You should now be able to start your Chromebook as normal. Because the data stored on your Chromebook has been cleared, you'll need to go through the initial setup again. Make sure you sign in with your primary Google Account, because this account will be set as the owner account.