Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Application error..."Exception GIFException in module aviWUSB54GC.dll…

Application error..."Exception GIFException in module...
Application error..."Exception GIFException in module aviWUSB54GC.dll at 000252AF" repeatedly....very annoying. I searched and found forums and solutions which mentioned some relation to Linksys wireless USB routers. I no longer have this router but I am wondering if something left in my startup registry may have gotten activated. I am in the process of removing the Norton security suite which was provided by Xfinity which I also no longer use. I had eft the Norton intact because it seemed to work OK. NOW as I am getting annoying update messages from Symtec( they want money now I guess) Its probably time to stop using Norton. After I deleted the Norton security(I left the backup settings intact By the way) the error message continues. A Norton alert window came up and suggested a fix for error 3042.1 would be to uninstall the program.

I am installing AWG free and then I'll add Malwarebytes as well unless this is overkill?

Should I and can I rid myself of this annoying error message and does the protection suite I plan on installing seem adequate. There is a Microsoft security suite which is also free but I can't remember how to get it. I could probably go to the MS website and search but what if the choces are too numerous to make an informed decision ?
1/2/2013
JTechLLC
JTechLLC, Computer Support Specialist
Hello, I would like you to go into your control panel and then into the programs section. Look for any Linksys software in the list of installed programs. If you see any listed un install the software and restart the computer. As for the virus protection you should be fine with avg. Malwarebytes will just be used for scanning as the free version does not have active monitoring of the system so this will not be overkill. If you are running all this you should need need the MS antivirus. But just for reference it is Microsoft Security Essentials which can be found here.
Thanks for the lead to MS. I actually looked for any programs before I aked the questions and didn't have any Lyksys software to uninstall. You seem to agree that the error has to do with a Lyksys program so where is it coming from. I did a search for a file name without any luck as well.

I found my external hard drive which is running through USB was without power so I reconnected it and did a restart but error message still rearing its ugly head? Any more ideas?
In the list of program files is there anything that is related to cisco? The are basically the same company and may be listed as that name instead.
If you start the computer in safe mode do you still get the error?
I don't have any programs under the Cisco name either. I do not get the message in safe mode but am also not able to get an Internet connection using any browsers...IE...Firefox or Chome. Chrome is the last program I installed because Zi dd nt want to convert IE7 to IE8. Should I uninstall chrome? I will try and restart in normal Mode to see if it returns while I await a reply. On my iPad now for Internet use

PC's Bly affected ...my son jut came down and said he lot his connection...hmmmm
Since the error does not occur in safe mode I would like you to boot back up into regular mode and click on the start menu and then in the run box type msconfig and then enter. Go to the startup tab and unclick all the items in the list and restart the computer see if the error comes up. If it does not click the items and restart the computer one by one until you find out which startup item is causing the problem.
The message is still presenting itself with all the boxes unchecked
In the services tab in the same msconfig window I would like you to click on the hide windows services and then de check all the check boxes for the services as well. Let me know if the error still comes up when you do this.
I was assuming you meant that if it didn't come up (which it did not)with all services unchecked I was to check each box until it showed up? Now 3 of the boxes would not allow disabling as I hope you are aware. It's taking a longtime to restart after each box is checked cues kids are out f school and need lots of carpool rides.

Apparently I can't get an Internet browser up. Would that have to do with the services being unchecked or uninstalling Norton?
After going through the tedious drill of checking each box and restarting and not getting the error message to make it interesting I started looking at only the " unknown" manufacturers . I found a service...WUSB54GCSVC" which I checked and alas the error message came back. I enabled every service except this one(By the way...Internet has also come back so met have been having the services off that I'd it) and the message stays away as we'll as the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime and application will be closed Message which I get a lot if computer is on Internet. I keep it on for routing purposes.

Please note the config box is still telling me I have changed the startup menu. Is there something I should do...click apply? Maybe

Does it sound like what your advise wold have been? Anything else Zi need to check...defragment ....clear space. I still get slow end program boxes and program not responding boxes a lot...any fixes?
I'm glad you figured out the error message. You can click a chechbox that says not to display that message again on reboot. After you check the box it should only appear one more time. As for the other errors I may suggest to run a scan on your computer with a program such as malwarebytes which can be downloaded for free from malwarebyes.com perform a full scan and see what it comes up with.
JTechLLC
JTechLLC, Computer Support Specialist
JTechLLC
JTechLLC
JTechLLC, Computer Support Specialist