Software

Im having an annoying problem when I use copy and paste. After…

I'm having an annoying problem...
I'm having an annoying problem when I use copy and paste. After I depress Ctrl 'C', then when I place my cursor where I want to move the text that was copied, I depress Ctrl 'V'. It does paste the material copied, but at the same time, it snaps the line where it was inserted to the very botXXXXX XXXXXne on my screen. This has not happened until... Read full answer
I'm having an annoying problem when I use copy and paste. After I depress Ctrl 'C', then when I place my cursor where I want to move the text that was copied, I depress Ctrl 'V'. It does paste the material copied, but at the same time, it snaps the line where it was inserted to the very botXXXXX XXXXXne on my screen. This has not happened until recently. It's annoying, because I have to scroll down to resume working where I was before.
Another problem I'm having is when I am typing, and I wish to start a new paragraph. I like to put a blank line between paragraphs, so I depress 'Enter" twice in succession. The first time I depress 'Enter', my cursor moves down a line. On the second 'Enter' command, my text disappears and at least 6 or 7 blank lines appear. I can depress 'Backspace', and the missing text returns to the initial location. To counter this, I have to depress 'Enter' once, then type a word and depress 'Enter' again. Then it skips down a second line, and I have the blank line between paragraphs that I wish to have present.
On other occasions, when I wish to start a new paragraph and depress 'Enter' twice, the two blank lines appear, but the cursor remains on the first blank line. This requires that I use the 'Down' arrow to move the cursor down to the second blank line and resume typing a new paragraph. Can you help me fix this?
Jeff
10/25/2012
Chris R.
Chris R., Computer Tech

Chris :

Hello Jeff. Just out of curiosity have you tried to use a different keyboard with your computer?

Chris,

I left for diner and an evening meeting, but I'm back now. Your suggestion sounds like a good one. I have some keys that bind a little if I don't strike them squarely in the middle. And sometimes I'll strike 2,3 or even 4 keys, and they delay a moment and all appear on the screen at once, or almost at once.

However, the only other keyboard I have has a different plug from the present one. I'd like to get a wireless keyboard, but they seem to be sold in sets with a wireless mouse. I already have a wireless mouse and two wired mice. If necessary, I'll buy another set, but meanwhile, can you suggest any other possible solution?

Another annoying thing I just noticed is that the 'Check' function on my Google tool bar is not working. I purposely changed buy to bxy, and it didn't show a misspelling. It showed a red line under bxy, but I'm used to seeing a tiny window appear with suggestions to correct the misspelled word.

Jeff

Hi Jeff.

By different plug do you mean a PS/2 connector? They have adapters that allow you to change them into a USB. Also, they do sell just the wireless keyboard if that is what you are interested in. Just a quick search found one Here

I think it just might be the keyboard acting up, but if you want to be sure that it is not a software problem I would try going into Safe Mode by hitting F8 repeatedly on boot up. If the problem still persists it is probably hardware. Also, another thing you can do is try getting a can of compressed air with a precision tube attachment and blow it in between your keyboard keys and underneath.

Also, does this happen with just one program like Word, or does this happen no matter where you copy and paste?

I really don't know anything about the Google Toolbar so I can't help you with that. Maybe reinstalling the toolbar would fix whatever problem you are having with that.

Chris,

I'll work on this later in the day and get back to you.

Jeff

No problem. Just make sure if you do use compressed air that you keep the can upright. You don't want liquid pouring out of the tube.

Chris,

The connector on my second keyboard is purple, has a round end that plugs into the computer, has a single blade with six pin connectors (3 on each side - 2 opposite the blade at the top and 4 below the blade) Is this a PS/2 connector?

Jeff

Yes that is a PS/2. The adapter I was talking about can be found here. There are a few people here and there that claim it doesn't work, but for most people these work fine.

Cheap solution if you want to try and use your older keyboard on your computer. You can always just buy a new keyboard since you were interested in getting a new keyboard anyway. Even if the keyboard isn't the problem at least you have the keyboard you wanted.

Another thing, what happens if you just use your mouse to copy and paste?

Chris,

Place cursor, click and drag mouse; depress Ctrl 'C'; move mouse to new location to paste text; depress 'V' is the only way I know to copy and paste. Is there another?

Funny thing ! I have the opposite of a PS/2 adapter used to plug a new style keyboard into the old style port on the back of the computer.

I've used my compressor, inverted the balky keyboard and blown out the keys. I just tried a double 'Enter', and the cursor moved down two spaces instead of one space initially and on the second click (either) moving down 4 or 5 lines or blanking out 4 or 5 lines of text. So that may be the fix needed until I locate a wireless keyboard with the keys that the present keyboard has.

What will happen if I reboot and use F8 repeatedly to enter the Safe Mode? I've never done other than a start normally. Will I need to perform some operations in safe mode to check software function, or will the computer just boot up as usual.

I think I recall seeing a safe mode boot up that had large images displayed. If it doesn't return to a normal boot up, what should I do to return to a normal mode of operation?

Jeff

Jeff,

The other way I was talking about is using just the mouse to copy and paste text. For example, if using Word or some other word processor highlight the text then RIGHT CLICK and select copy. Then move the cursor to where you want to paste your text and then right click mouse again and select paste.

Safe Mode is just a mode where Windows loads up with the bare minimum needed to operate. It is useful for taking care of problems that can't be fixed while in Normal mode. In Safe Mode everything loads up the same way but the graphics will appear larger because it is set at a lower resolution. You should still be able to open a word document up or experiment with the copy and paste. You can even still use the internet if you select WITH NETWORKING from the menu. To get out of Safe Mode you just shut down the computer the usual way. It will boot back up normally on reset.

Chris,

I located a PS/2 adapter on the MONOPRICE website that you provided a link to which will work on my HP Keyboards. With shipping, the total cost was $4.49. Radio Shack's price was $21.99 and Best Buy's price was $24.95. The Best Buy associate pulled out his iPhone and found the same thing on another vendor's website and offered me his Best Buy product for $10.00.

All three mentioned are double PS/2 female ports on cables to a single USB plug. The PS/2 adapter that I first saw at the link you provided was a single green plastic piece like the one I have that is the reverse of what I need. It cost $1.13 + shipping, but it would only work with Logitech equipment. I'll have the MOMOPRICE PS/2 adapter about Wednesday next week, so I'm happy. Thank you.

A new problem I've been having today is that my screen freezes. The cursor still works and after lots of F5 depresses and clicks on the refresh circular arrow in the browser, it finally refreshes, but shortly afterward it freezes again. I believe this occurred shortly after I rebooted in Safe Mode. Probably no relation though. If it persists, I'll ask for your help.

Next question. On my desktop I have several icons for software that all probably perform similar or nearly identical functions. I'm speaking of Rovi Player, Quick Time Player, VLC media player and Windows Media Player. HP Media Smart may be another. I'd like to dump the least desirable and keep, at most two. What are your thoughts?

Jeff

Are you talking about uninstalling or just getting rid of the shortcuts? No harm in getting rid of short cuts that you don't want cluttering your desktop. I wouldn't get rid of any of the programs because you might need it on some occasions. VLC plays just about anything so that is a keeper.

Safe Mode had nothing to do with anything. That is just a strange coincidence.

Chris,

The problem with double depressing 'Enter' is back (2nd depress skips or blots out 4 or 5 lines of text), but I will soon have the PS/2 adapter that

I ordered, so I can use my spare keyboard. I'll report if it's successful.

Here's a new question for you. I have HP Support Assistant installed. I've scheduled tune-ups, but I suspect they don't run completely. The reason being is that I ran one yesterday between scheduled tune-ups. The first several items ran quickly and successfully, but the defrag disk just ran forever. After a really long time (overnight) my computer went into the sleep mode. When I woke it up early this morning, the defrag was still spinning away.

I minimized it and worked on emailing for quite some time. Then I left it running and watched football for several hours. After I returned, I found my computer in the sleep mode again. I awoke it, and the defrag was still spinning away.

I don't know if it would ever finish. I've used Diskeeper 2011 before, and it is still shown on the Start menu under All Programs. I'll try to see if it's still working tonight when I sign off. But what I need to know is this, Will the HP Support Assistant defrag feature ever complete its function and give me a report?

I checked the Control Panel - Power Options, and the 'Change when computer sleeps' is set to 'Never' both On battery and Plugged In. Yet after some unknown number of hours, I find my computer in the sleep mode. Is this why the defrag function never completes? Does the computer have to remain active continuously for the defrag function to complete? And how can I set it to stay active, since the Power Options - 'Change when computer sleeps' setting as 'Never' are not keeping it from entering the sleep mode?

Jeff

Chris,

An update on Diskeeper. I opened it using Start - All Programs, and it's actively running as of right now. Could this be why HP Support Assistant Tune-up defrag function will never stop spinning? If so, is the Tune-up function of no use to me?

Jeff

Be right with you Jeff.

Jeff,

I would just get rid of Diskeeper. Uninstall that from your system.These PC manufactures like to throw a bunch of garbage software in their setups that usually serve to just bloat your computer and slow everything down. It isn't necessary and might be interfering with things. About the defragging, if only the display is turning off then the defrag should continue. If it is an actual sleep mode then yes it does get interrupted since the processor goes to sleep also. If you want a very good defragger I suggest Defraggler by Piriform. If you go to www.piriform.com you will find they have a lot of useful programs. Just find defraggler and download it. It is free.

You can also try running one of the defrag programs in Safe Mode that I mentioned before.

Chris,

Diskeeper is a program that I purchased for 2 years. It's not a progran installed by HP when loaded initially, or bloatware that piggybacked on another download. It runs in the background and keeps fragmented files from building up by defragging either as they occur or before they occur. I'm not sure which. I don't want to uninstall it.

I'd like to see if I can make HP Support Assistant run it's defrag function to completion. Please tell me how to use the Control Panel options to set my computer to stay awake until defrag runs to completion.

Power Options - 'Change when computer sleeps' and 'Change when the display turns off' are set to 'Never' On battery and 'Never' on Plugged in. Despite this the computer eventually goes into the sleep mode. The screen is still on, because the display to enter a password XXXXX XXXXX However, eventually te screen turns off, and I have to touch anything to wake the computer from sleep mode, and I have to turn on tghe display. My computer is plugged into a battery backup, but I'm quite sure that has no effect on anything.

It may be possible that the Diskeeper running in the background (I think) is interfering with the HP Support Assistant defrag function. Can you research that and advise me.

Jeff

That sounds like a screen saver going on. After the screen saver goes on the computer is set to lock you out unless you enter a password. Go make sure you don't have a screen saver turned on. Also, you can tell if the computer is in sleep mode because the fans on your computer will be off. Try listening for that. I still think Diskeeper could be causing problems but if you feel better keeping it then that is fine. You really shouldn't have 2 programs trying to fix fragments running at the same time.There is a conflict there if I understand you correctly. You only need to run a defrag maybe once a month or so. Having a program in the background running all the time isn't really necessary and can just slow the computer down. The windows Defrag or the Piriform Defraggler are all that is needed for defragging purposes.

Chris,

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Start > Sleep and listen for the fans. - The fans stopped.

I need your opinion on upgrades suggested to enhance my computer's operating speed. An acquaintance of mine made several upgrades to my HP p 6720 f Desktop PC which he said would make it operate faster.

1) He maxed out the RAM from 6 GB to 16 GB.

2) He added a 2 TB hard drive internally to the existing 1 TB hard drive.

3) He replaced a 250 watt power supply with a 650 watt power supply.

4) He installed an XFX HD-677X - ZNFC Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card.

a) The processor is an AMD Phenom X4 840T Quad Core - Op. Speed up to 2.9 GHz & Bus Speed 4000 MHz HT3

b) The original graphics card was an ATI Radeon 4200

I don't need any of this overkill, but he said if I wanted a faster machine I should have these upgrades.

Laughing Was he correct that it would it make my machine faster?

Please tell me what 1) thru 4) above accomplish. These are my assumptions.

Laughing1) Increasing RAM from 6 GB to 16 GB will increase operating speed.

Laughing2) Adding 2 TB hard drive only adds storage, not operating speed

Laughing3) 650 watt power supply is necessary to support the 'kick-ass' v/card.

Laughing4) The new video card makes the computer operating speed faster.

LaughingPlease tell me how to use the Control Panel options to set my computer to run continuously, until I see if the HP Support Assistant defrag function will ever run to completion. Control Panel > Power Options > 'Change when the Computer sleeps' and 'Choose when to turn off display' set to 'Never On battery' and 'Never' Plugged in' will not work. Eventually it enters sleep mode and later the display turns off.

If the defrag function doesn't ever stop spinning, I'll assume the Diskeeper continuous operation in the background prevents it from working properly.

Jeff

P.S. Six Laughing,s need answers or your opinions.

Jeff,

Your friend is wrong on everything for the most part. You don't say what it is you use your computer for but for the average person, his recommendations are overkill.

1) You don't need to upgrade RAM. It won't increase speed unless you find yourself running low of it now.

2) 1 TB is plenty of space for the average person. Another HDD will not increase speed.

3) A better power supply is definitely needed for a more powerful graphics card. 250 watt is extremely under powered. I think 650 might even still be low. Power supply does not in itself increase the speed of anything.

4) Upgrading video card will help overall since it will process graphics better. There are better cards then that out now though.

5) You said you used a battery backup. I assume you mean a UPS. Are you using any software with it that may be overriding the windows OS settings? Perhaps it is an energy saving setting within the program? If your Power Profile in Windows says it is off then it should not turn off. If you want, there is an advanced settings options that you can mess with to try and get it to work. You can even try setting it to sleep and then putting it back. I would check out the UPS first as it might have something to do with the computer going to sleep.

Chris R.
Chris R., Computer Tech

Chris,

Is there a way to keep my computer awake using Control Panel options or any other means?

Jeff

Jeff,

It is either something is going wrong in Windows with the Power settings not working, or you have something else causing the computer to go to sleep. Do you have any software running on your computer for the Battery backup?

Chris,

I'm back again. Please refer to the string of Q's & A's to recall what has been done so far. Regarding the keyboard problem, I got the right PS/2 adapter, and the key board from my spare HP a6528p Desktop P.C. works better. But I still find that when I'm typing, on occasion, keys depressed don't place a character in the text.

Next, the problem with depressing Enter twice to skip a line and start a new paragraph is still not eliminated, but it's less frequent now. On the first Enter key stroke, It skips down a line. On the second Enter key stroke, it skips down another line, but the cursor stays on the line above. This requires depressing the down arrow to begin typing a new paragraph.

Also less frequent is the experience of depressing two Enter key strokes in succession. The first blank line appears normally, but the second Enter wipes out at least 4 or 5 lines of text leaving a white, blank space. Solution: Depress 'Backspace' and the text reappears. To counter that problem when it starts occurring, I hit Enter once and then type any character and hit Enter again. I get the two blank lines between my paragraphs, but I still have to scroll up and erase the character. As I said both are less frequent now. Can you give me some more ideas to eliminate these annoyances?

The a), b), c), etc. below refer to your questions in the dated responses in the string of Q & A's above. The first addresses your several questions in paragraph 5) of your 10/29/12 @ 11:47 pm est.

a) You use a battery backup. I assume you mean a UPS. Yes

b) Are you using any software with it that may be overriding the windows OS settings? I don't know what software is on the installation disc. If you can furnish a name, and if it's listed under All Programs on the Start menu or by using Start>Control Panel>Programs & Features, I'll identify it and respond.

c) Perhaps it's an energy saving setting within the program? Unknown.

d) If your Power Profile in Windows says it is off, then the computer should

not turn off. I think you mean 'Go to Sleep.' Here's what I did. I used: Start>Control Panel>Power Options>Change Power Settings. Then I set every power plan (High Performance, Power Saver, Balanced, My Power Plan 1, 2, &3) as shown here:

..............................................On Battery....Plugged In

Turn off the display.................Never............Never

Put the computer to sleep..... Never............Never

I left the Power Plan in the 'High Performance Mode'. What do you suggest?

e) If you want, there is an advanced settings options that you can mess with to try and get it to work. I don't see a tab or any other link to click on for advanced settings. Where is it located?

f) You can even try setting it to sleep and then putting it back. It's not clear to me what you mean by, "..then putting it back." To check it, I'll leave it running overnight and see if it went to sleep during the night. Won't that give us the answer, if it doesn't go to sleep?

g) I would check out the UPS first as it might have something to do with the computer going to sleep. I don't know how to check it. Perhaps if the computer and display are still going to sleep despite all the 'Never' settings, I can reconfigure the computer power supply for a day without using the UPS (CyberPower CP685AVR-G) 390 watts. Should the monitor and printer also be moved to the UPS side that gives only the normal power subject to interruption?

Next, I'm referring to your 10/29/12 @ 11:47 p.m. responses 1) thru 4).

1) I decided to upgraded the RAM to 16 GB, and I agree it's overkill.

2) The man who did all this work said he had a 2 TB hard drive. He did not make it clear that neither RAM or 2 TB hard drive would make the machine faster.

3) He did tell me that I needed a bigger power supply to accommodate the new graphics card he installed.

4) Although he was told that I don't use any graphics, I inferred from his remarks that the 'kick ass' video card was going to make my machine faster.

I wanted a bigger, better machine for my own satisfaction that would download from the Internet faster. I didn't get it. He never phoned me as promised to use Log-Me-In and review and decide what programs I didn't need. He just used his judgment at his skill level of 1,000 (mine is about 25 to 50 maybe), and he deleted what he thought was useless to me and installed some complicated programs that he uses. He always said they were better than what I had, but I didn't know how to use them. And I had paid for licenses for some of what he deleted.

The worst change was made without even telling me. He installed Windows 7 Pro. It was never properly installed. It caused me problems for several months. I finally had my Windows 7 Home Premium reinstalled using the license by which it was first installed (I'm not exactly sure about how it was reinstalled), but the performance improved, and I was finally rid of the incessant interruptions saying my O.S. was not genuine Windows and many, many other abnormalities. I'll never go down that road again.

Lots more later,

Jeff

Hello Jeff.

Forgive me but I am a little confused by that long post. I looked over some of the previous conversation. If I remember there were a few different things we were talking about. I would like to try and address the keyboard issues only at first, and ask for you to just post a new question if you have any other problem you may need assistance with.

About the keyboard problem, off the top of my head there is one thing you can look at that I don't think I had you try before. I am using Windows Vista so I forget exactly where it would be but look in your Control Panel for a Keyboard icon. In there you should be able to change settings related to key sensitivity.

Also what program were you experiencing these typing issues again? Was it everything or just Microsoft Word or another program?

Cris,
Your idea about keyboard sensitivity was a logical one, but after Control Panel>Keyboard there was nothing about sensitivity of the keys. My options were 2 tabs, Speed and Hardware. Under Speed:

1) Set repeat delay, long or short (time until first character is printed - I set fairly short delay).

2) Set repeat rate, fast or slow (rate at which it prints characters, one after the other - I set it in the middle).

3) Cursor blink rate - I set it in the middle, but the cursor doesn't blink at all. Maybe it will when I close and reopen IE or reboot the computer.

Under the Hardware tab I noted four items:

1) Device name - HID Keyboard Device & Type - Keyboards

2) Manufacturer - (Standard Keyboards)

3) Location - on USB input device

4) Device status - This device is working properly

Clicking on the Properties button gave me 3 tabs

1) General - Same info as 1), 2), 3) & 4) above

2) Driver - Much info, but nothing about key sensitivity

3) Details - HD Keyboard Device & Property with a drop down of 47 choices, but nothing about sensitivity.

This was a dead end. Can you ask someone familiar with Windows 7 how to change key sensitivity?

The type of program I am using in which I have these difficulties is Juno email on the Web. I also use MS Office Word 2007, but I don't recall it has these problems, at least just now when I tried it. Maybe the problem is with Juno.

I'll submit the other issues on another question string.

Jeff

Jeff,

Those are the exact same settings that Vista has for keyboard. Windows 7 is pretty much an improved version of Vista and for the most part things are still the same. I thought that might help just in case the keys were too sensitive and you were accidentally holding one down for too long. I am making a bet it is the Juno because I see no other reason why the keyboard would be doing this. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the keyboard itself, and the computer is processing the keyboard information without a problem other times. If there isn't a problem in MS Office then it is almost certainly isolated to Juno.

No problem Jeff. Take Care.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a new computer. Im trying to just start a new page in
hi! I have a new computer. Im trying to just start a new page in Word into which I want to copy from an Email. I already copied the text of it; now I want to paste it on a new page in Word. It should … read more
Support Specialist,
I'm still using MS Word 2002. For some documents (not all),
I'm still using MS Word 2002. For some documents (not all), if I COPY 12-point text, then PASTE it into another document, it becomes 10 point in the document where its pasted. Is there something I can… read more
Chris Baxter
Chris Baxter
CEO,
I have two Word documents with essentially the same text in
I have two Word documents with essentially the same text in both. But the page break is happening a line too soon in the new document. It adds a total of 24 pages to the page count compared to the oth… read more
Senthil
Senthil
Sr. IT Analyst,
BE
Stop searching for answers—
I am looking for an extremely simple multi clipboard manager
I am looking for an extremely simple multi clipboard manager for Windows 10 latest update.The manager would preferably need to keep all clips in memory for immediate pasting.I only need to store text … read more
Wes
Wes
Owner/Consultant,
I want to shade paragraphs of text, then use bullets, and
Hi, I want to shade paragraphs of text, then use bullets, and have them all continuously shaded. I don't want to put them in a single cell table or text box. Can you advise if this is possible and how… read more
Ariel Yuson
Ariel Yuson
Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering
I am trying to edit a PDF file. Much of the work I did
I am trying to edit a PDF file. Much of the work I did yesterday was not saved and has to be done again. I had clicked on the save button multiple times. In any case I have two paragraphs that are too… read more
caraleneK
caraleneK
Service Manager,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have tried and tried, and I cannot complete my use of the
I have tried and tried, and I cannot complete my use of the magnetic lasso tool in photoshop. am I in the right place? … read more
Senior Engineer,
I've just paid for a month and trying to verify email. I
Hi - I've just paid for a month and trying to verify email. I don't seem to be able to copy and paste. What am I doing wrong?… read more
Byron
Byron
Computer Support Specialist,
Ewing.. another question about chrome, specifically gmail.
Eric Ewing.. another question about chrome, specifically gmail. This issue is creating a major pain for me every time I try to paste text into an email I want to send. I will try to describe best I ca… read more
Computer Support Specialist,
Last month, I released my first novel on Amazon, and
Hi, Last month, I released my first novel on Amazon, and I had no problems with the formatting, other than having to get rid of a bunch of tabs. It looks great. However, after investing thousands into… read more
Christopher Love
Christopher Love
I need to add a page in publisher - I cannot get it to add
I need to add a page in publisher - I cannot get it to add into the section I want it keeps adding at the end.… read more
Senior Engineer,
I have a cursor blinking in a text box but I cannot control
I have a cursor blinking in a text box but I cannot control it. I want to highlight type and change indents. I cannot. After monkeying around a bit with things I know not of, it sometimes momentarily … read more
Managing Director,
Stop searching for answers—
Hello, I have a table in Open office 4.01 and want to allow
Hello, I have a table in Open office 4.01 and want to allow text to come under it in the same page it occupies (it uses ~ 30% of the page hight.) Can you help me? Thank you. Martin Lee… read more
Computer Support Specialist,
Hi. Trying to copy and then merge 100 text files Hi I have
Hi. Trying to copy and then merge 100 text files Hi I have 100 text file on a MS Win 08 server I have admin priviledges on the server I am trying to copy these files to another folder and then merge t… read more
Computer Scientist,
I have word for Mac 2011. I just finished writing a paper
I have word for Mac 2011. I just finished writing a paper in Chicago style. At the end of my paper I have 2 horizontal lines I cannot delete. I have tried for an hour to lookup help, but I cannot find… read more
Network & System Administrator,
Corel WordPerfect X6: I need to understand the capabilities
Corel WordPerfect X6: I need to understand the capabilities of, and differences between, the macro commands "PauseKey", "PauseCommand" and "PauseSet". Specifically, I'd like to use a single character,… read more
david
david
how do I stop the polygonal lassoo tool completing my selection
how do I stop the polygonal lassoo tool completing my selection before I am ready if I pause for more than a few seconds?… read more
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Bachelor's Program
I am using CS5 for mac. I use the text feature often but for
I am using CS5 for mac. I use the text feature often but for some reason when I hit the return key to make a new line the cursor stubbornly stays on the same line ? Can you help ?… read more
Justin
Justin
Network Administrator,