How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-ssa Your Own Question
lev-ssa, Retirement and Benefits
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 42818
Experience:  Retirement Planning, Benefit Qualification, Taxes, International Issues
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-ssa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I collect survivors benefits from my deceased husband. If I

This answer was rated:

I collect survivors benefits from my deceased husband. If I get remarried, will I lose those benefits?
JA: What is your current age and retirement age?
Customer: I am 66 and I reached retirement age on my last birthday
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I plan on collecting on my social security in September when I turn 67

When a widow or widower, or a surviving ex-spouse, waits until age 60 or later to remarry, they will still be eligible to collect Social Security benefits.

You cannot get benefits if you remarry before age 60 or if you are disabled and remarry before age 50.

If you remarry before that age , you will not be entitled to survivor’s benefits, unless the marriage ends.

At age 66 - your benefits will NOT be affected.


Customer: replied 12 days ago.
SO I can get married a few months before I start collecting on my own, correct?

Yes - that is correct.

At age 66 - re-marriage will not affect your eligibility.

You still will be eligible for widow benefits.

Congratulation on your marriage!

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I prefer not to pay the extra.

Please be aware that phone call offer is automatically generated.
If not needed - you may simply ignore the offer.
Meanwhile - we may continue conversation here.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
could you also tell me what I need to do to apply for my benefits before September?

First of all - you may delay your own benefits - till age 70 and they will continue to grow.

If you choose so - you may switch to your own benefits any time.

When you decide to do so - you need to contact teh SSA directly.

Let me know your zip code and I will find local SSA contacts for you.

lev-ssa and 2 other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
My zip code is 02885

Social Security Office Information

Address:6TH FLOOR

Phone:1-877-402-0808 TTY:1-800-325-0778


Monday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Tuesday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Wednesday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Thursday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Friday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM




When calling the SSA be prepared to wait.
If you prefer to visit the SSA office in person - an appointment is not required but may help to reduce waiting time.

Let me know if that helps.

lev-ssa and 2 other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks Lev for the info and well wishes. I appreciate the clear answers to my questions. Have a great night!!