Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Can a spouse that is 60 years old today and will not have…

Customer Question
Can a spouse that is...
Can a spouse that is 60 years old today and will not have the 40 quarters to qualify for SS benefits by age 62 get SS/Medicare if her husband has those benefits?
Submitted: 10 days ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/11/2018
Social Security Expert: Christopher B, Esq., Attorney replied 10 days ago
Christopher B, Esq.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and thank you for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

Y​es, if the spouse qualifies for benefits AND begins taking those benefits the other spouse my take a spousal benefit as early as age 62 based on the spouse's benefits even though they do not qualify for benefits on their own record. It is up to 50% at full retirement age (age 66) and at age 62 it will be reduced by the early retirement penalty to about 30%.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be numbers from 1-5 or smiley faces next to my answer to choose from. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. See link on how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Thank you in advance.

Social Security Expert: Christopher B, Esq., Attorney replied 9 days ago

J​ust checking back in, do you have any further questions?