Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

In the event of my death what # is needed to stop my

Customer Question
In the event of...

In the event of my death what # is needed to stop my benefits coming to my residence and is any paperwork needed to be sent to you.

Accountant's Assistant: What is your current age and retirement age?

72 and 63.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Social Security
6/1/2018
Social Security Expert: keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner replied 2 months ago
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

The general telephone number is *****

However, it is usually much easier to notify the local SSA office to avoid an extended wait time (up to 45 minutes on hold). I'll give you a link where, using your ZipCode, you can find the address and local phone number of your closest local SSA office.

https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

Depending upon your circumstances (single or married) any Survivor should visit the local SSA office together with a death certificate in order to terminate your benefits and if a Survivor is involved to have their benefits adjusted as appropriate.

Also, usually if a Funeral Director is involved, they are often the ones who notify the SSA for any decedents who they are handling services for.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way the SITE will credit me for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,