Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I recently closed the account my check was being directly…

Customer Question
Hi, I recently closed...

Hi, I recently closed the account my check was being directly deposited to. How do I change the account with social security?

Accountant's Assistant: What's your current age and retirement age?

I retired at about 65 and I am now 72

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Retirement Accountant to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Social Security
5/31/2018
Social Security Expert: keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner replied 2 months ago
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

There are three ways to accomplish what you want.

1. The easiest way is to check with the bank where the new account is that you want your benefits to be deposited. The banks often offer this service for their customers.

2. You can call the Social Security Administration at 1-***-***-**** and ask them to make the change. The only problem with this is the wait on "Hold" can be very, very long. A better alternative is to call your local Social Security office to make the change. I'll give you a link where, using your ZipCode, you can find the address and local telephone number for the closest local SSA office. (Note: Some local offices don't publish a local number.)

https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

3. The last way, and most direct method if your bank doesn't offer the service is to make the change yourself online. In order to do that you will need to go to ssa.gov and set up a "My Social Security" account. Once you do that, you will see that there are a number of things you can do and information you can obtain through that website. One of the options is to change the bank account information where your benefits are deposited.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions or need any further assistance.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,