Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I have been receiving SS benefit check for over a year. my…

Customer Question
I have been receiving...

I have been receiving SS benefit check for over a year. my wife died last year and i now receive a $500 check each month as beneficiary of her school system retirement for her 30 yrs of service. i also work still at age 67 but now i get a letter from SSA saying i have all these forms and questioniares to fill out and certified copies of the awards letter and that my current $1800 will be reduced by the the $501 as my wife did not pay into SS as her school had its own VALIC thing. She did not have any other retirement from the State of GA. seems like her 30 yrs of service now leads to my losing some of my SS benefits. they already said they will cut off my checks next month if i do not file the forms before June 13 and my Medicare costs will be billed to me as i will no longer have any SS benefits. i have 2 college degrees and i must say the forms they sent me are not clear at all that it is based on my wife dying last year, it asks me if I have retired and when etc. not when did my wife die.

Accountant's Assistant: What's your current age and retirement age?

I am now 67. what do yo mean by retirement age

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Retirement Accountant to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Social Security
Spoke to SS, they said i had to complete a form SS-150, plus a certified copy of the awards letter from my wife's school system, the last letter said that i would get no check in June since i had not filled out the questionaire as I thought it was all about ME, turned out the Questionaire was as if it was my WIFE answering the questions and that is what the person at SS said it meant.
5/31/2018
Social Security Expert: dylatess, ATTORNEY replied 2 months ago
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY

Thanks for your question and it is very confusing. You do need to fill out the forms so that the SSA can calculate the offset. that is, if your wife did not pay into SS, the money that she or you now receive from her retirement is an offset against your SS. it is known as the Windfall Act. but by providing the answered forms, the SSA can determine the amount of the offset. Likewise, if you ignore the forms, they will treat the windfall offset at 100%. This will also affect your Medicare premium. And yes, you are answering the forms as if your wife was completing them. Hope this helps. When completed, insist that the forms are reviewed by a SSA representative in your presence. Please accept my answer so that I am paid. Otherwise, you paid for this service but I am not compensated. Thanks.

Is the offset dollar for dollar and will I have to refund that offset back to her date of death to SS?

Maybe. Based on your income and expenses, the SSA often waives repayment of the back benefits. But it is dollar for dollar.

Sounds like I need to make an appt to go to a SS office with the forms in hand. Is the potential waiver of back payments done by some additional paperwork or appeals upfront at submission or is a waiver only sought after a decision is rendered calling for a subsequent filing or appeal? What ais the logistical sequence to do that. Does it matter that the home is now in default due to loss of my wife’s income due to dearh. ?

You are posting a new question. Please accept my answer to your original post and post your new question. You can also request me by name, Dylatess, to answer your question. Thanks.

I disagree this is not a new question. You mentioned that the back payment might be waived and I asked how that works within the frame work of dealing with the main question of how to deal with SS’s requirement to file any and all forms related to the singular issue of my wife’s death and the $501 pension I am now receiving from her school system. So when filing besides the SS150 and the Questionaire form does the filing also include a request of a waiver or must that be done as a subsequent appeal after the referenced filing. ?