Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Can you start your SS retirement, then stop, and continue…

Customer Question
Can you start your...

Can you start your SS retirement, then stop, and continue until full retirement age?

Accountant's Assistant: What is your current age and retirement age?

69

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Retirement Accountant to know before I connect you?

If I repay the amount I received from starting my SS retirement, can I receive the additional/total months I have coming until age 70?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Social Security
5/28/2018
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. …. My name’s Lane,

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a coupe of minutes while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

(If the site makes one of those automated phone call offers, that DID NOT COME FROM ME. It’s an automatic offer that the site throws up there, I’d be glad to discuss this over the phone but the site charges more for that. Only accept if you’d like a call.)

Yes, you can do either.

...

Stopping and starting is called suspending - It won't add nearly as much but WILL allow for the 8% delayed retirement credits to be added for any full year (2/3 of 1% per month) that you suspend until age 70.

...

The other possibility can only be done once per lifetime. It's called withdrawing your application. With this one, you DO repay what you've received and they will re-calculate the benefit as if you had not ever received.

...

This one, obviously, adds MUCH more to the benefit

Heres; some information from SSA about withdrawing the application and paying back.

...

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/withdrawal.html

...

And here's where SSA talks about suspending benefits

...

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/suspend.html

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before rating me.

But if not, your positive rating … (by using those the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) … would be appreciated

Otherwise, I receive no compensation for the work here.

...

Thank you!

Lane