Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My daughter, 53 years old, lives in Allegan, MI and she has…

Customer Question
My daughter, 53 years...

My daughter, 53 years old, lives in Allegan, MI and she has had learning disabilities from a childhood accident and that is why I am inquiring on her behalf. She works in a factory and has developed carpal tunnel in both hands and also back problems due to her job. She has no other money than her work and recently married a man that makes even less than her, approximately $13.00 ph. She says that it is no secret at work that if you apply for Workers Comp they fire you so she is afraid to do that. In the meantime she just underwent surgery on one hand 3 weeks ago and will have the other one done on the 30th. She had an MRI today to determine what to do about her back. The medical bills keep piling on as her only income is $230 for short term disability. To make matters worse, her Pap Smear came out abnormal and she just had a biopsy to see if it is cancerous. What benefits, if any, could she qualify for? Her employer has insurance but it covers almost nothing. Please advise

Accountant's Assistant: Are there other sources of income (wages, interest, dividends, etc.)?

Only the meager salary from her husband's work that pays for food, car and house

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Retirement Accountant to know before I connect you?

Do not know what other information you may need....

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Social Security
5/28/2018
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 2 months ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Hi, my name is***** .I have been practicing SS LAW full time for 12+ years, exclusively, and look forward to assisting you.

I think she should reconsider the WC route. If she is concerned about retaliatory firing, which is illegal, then she should use an experienced workers compensation attorney to ensure her right to NOT be fired is protected.

Social Security does not pay disability benefits for those that can work an occupation (a new one even) and are not disabled from all work for at least 12 months. However, she can look toward's the state temporary disability program: https://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/0,5885,7-339-8319_9254---,00.html

She can also look potentially to Unemployment benefits if she were to lose her job but considers herself able to do some kind of work, while she is searching for a new job.