Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am working in US for more than 10 years but still on H1B…

Customer Question
I am working in...

I am working in US for more than 10 years but still on H1B visa. I plan to go back to India. Will I be entitled to social security benefits of USA?

Accountant's Assistant: What's your current age and retirement age?

56 and 60

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Retirement Accountant to know before I connect you?

No. Thanks

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Social Security
5/27/2018
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 2 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy t help you.

Unless you apply for green card or stay in US you will not get US social security benefits. Currently there's no totalization agreement between US and India that would allow you to receive benefits if you are not US citizen or resident.

If you are working in US for more than 10 years you are eligible for green card. You will need to file an application for adjustment of status, pay the fees and go through the interview/fingerprint process. It takes about 12 - 18 month to get a green card, depending where you live in the US.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?