Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I was married to my husband for over 14 years. He remarried…

Customer Question
I was married to...

I was married to my husband for over 14 years. He remarried and now the second wife is deceased. He id

Accountant's Assistant: What is your current age and retirement age?

My former husband is 80 and I am 75

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Retirement Accountant to know before I connect you?

Yes. My exhusband is worth many millions of dollars. My currant social security based on my working life is only $1011. Per month. What is the maximum anyone can collect?

Accountant's Assistant: What's your current age and retirement age?

I am 75 and retired at 62 to become total caretaker of my parents

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Social Security
5/26/2018
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 2 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Maximum social security benefits is 2788. But it does not necessary mean he is getting maximum benefits because his net worth is high. As his ex spouse you may be eligible for up to 50% of benefits based on his account, assuming you did not apply for your own benefits before your full retirement age of 65. But if you applied for your own benefits at 62, you would only get 35% of what he was eligible for at his full retirement age. It would be 975 or less, which would be less than benefits based on your own records.

The fact that his second spouse did has nothing to do with your eligibility.

Any questions?

Maximum spousal benefits would be about 1,300 and only if he was actually eligible for maximum benefits at his full retirement age and you applied for your benefits at 65 or later.