Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am 82 years old. Due to a number of medical problems, I…

Customer Question
I am 82 years...

I am 82 years old. Due to a number of medical problems, I hit the donut hole every year. This year, I reached that point in February. Primary cause is the high cost of Lyrica, which I take for fibromyalgia. Is there any way I can get help for these costs, as I have little other income. What would you need to know to consider this?

Accountant's Assistant: What is your retirement age?

I retired at 65.

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Retirement Accountant to know before I connect you?

I have attempted to get away from taking Lyrica, but found myself in terrible pain midway through the process. I also have severe degenerative disc disease, another chronic pain concern.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Social Security
I was widowed at 37 - my husband was unable to work after a coronary occlusion when I was 23 (he was 31). He had ss disability insurance the rest of his life, and had bypass surgery in 1963 (surgeon called it guinea pig surg." I own a very old home (built by his grandfather in 1900) but owe appr. $35,000 on it. I worked until 65 but not longer due to the chronic pain problems. I have no investments, no savings, nothing but my soc sec and a small pension and cannot keep pace with the upkeep on my home. Sharing this just to give you a better picture of my situation.
Answered in 1 day by:
5/27/2018
Social Security Expert: Rachel-Mod, Moderator replied 2 months ago
Rachel-Mod
Rachel-Mod, Moderator
Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I am the category moderator.
I notice that your question has been sitting for a while without a response.
Are you still needing help with this matter?
Rachel-Moderator
If you need additional information in order to answer my question, please write me back
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 2 months ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Hi, my name is***** .I have been practicing SS LAW full time for 12+ years, exclusively, and look forward to assisting you.

Social Security doesn't pay for medical, no. However, aside from picking a new Rx plan when enrollment changes can be made, many people with expensive Rxs that may be unaffordable, can talk to the manufacturer to see if there are any programs offered to assist lower income individuals with paying for a particular medicine. Also, if that is not available, you can speak with your doctor about a more affordable substitute, such as gabapentin, etc.

Also, know this: Lyrica, if you find no good substitute, is very close becoming available in the GENERIC form! Yes, end of 2018 possibly, or earlky 2019. See here.