Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Good mornin Pearl, I left a request for assistance the day…

Customer Question
Good mornin Pearl,...

Good mornin Pearl, I left a request for assistance the day before yesterday. I need a copy of my award letter for 2018 and I need to make an address change.

Accountant's Assistant: What is your current age and retirement age?

I am 68 years old and retired at 62

Accountant's Assistant: What was your retirement age?

62

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Retirement Accountant to know before I connect you?

I tried for a couple f hours to set up a personal account but could not get a user name approved?

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Social Security
5/25/2018
Social Security Expert: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 27 days ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

Sorry about the difficulty in setting up that "my social security" account. I see a lot of that. Here's your options:

1. Change of Address: You'll have to call them.(###) ###-#### Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

2. Award letter. This is called the Benefits Verification Letter.

A. When you call to change your address you can request the letter; make sure that they send it to your new address because there is sometimes a delay in getting the new address into the system.

B. You can visit your nearest Social Security Office and they will print one for you. You can find the location, hours, and directions to your nearest office using their officer locator, here: https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

Some offices require appointments.

If you would like to give that online account application another try, here's a few tips:

When creating a username, you cannot use your name or SSN. It must contain 8 to 20 letters and/or numbers. While it may not be as important as your password, you should still choose a username that is unique and not easily guessed. I usually just make up a nonsensical sequence and then I write it down and put it somewhere where I can find it easily!

When creating your password, it must be a minimum of 8 characters and include:
-At least one number
-At least one uppercase letter
-At least one lowercase letter
-At least one symbol

Additionally, it must begin with a letter or number.

Hope that helped. Please don't forget to rate this answer and remember that you can always return here with follow up questions on this topic at no additional charge. Thank you for using Just Answer.