Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I was in the SS office yesterday signing up for Medicare and…

Customer Question
I was in the...

I was in the SS office yesterday signing up for Medicare and the agent could not open my SS file to read a statement because she said it was locked and being looked at by the OEO, but had nothing else to tell us as to why this way happening, or who was the OEO?

Accountant's Assistant: What is your current age and retirement age?

64

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Retirement Accountant to know before I connect you?

So you aren’t the o e who is going to answer my question

Accountant's Assistant: Sorry. Please ask it again.

Who answers my question Forget it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Social Security
5/25/2018
Social Security Expert: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 months ago
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

Please give me a few moments to type my response.

At the Social Security Administration, OEO stands for Office of Earnings Operations. These are the people who track and confirm your wages each year. If your account is locked by them, that is usually an indication that they are looking at a discrepancy between what your employer reported to the IRS and what you reported on your tax return.

This should be resolved in a matter of weeks if the employer cooperates, but I have seen it take several months. You should be able to contact the OEO through the SSA's general number and find out why there is an issue. If you have retained old pay stubs, you may be able to assist them in resolving this matter.

I hope I have answered your question. If you have any more, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great day!