Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Last week Social Security dropped a bomb-shell on me. They…

Customer Question
Last week Social Security...

Last week Social Security dropped a bomb-shell on me. They said they have been calculating my retirement benefit incorrectly. They said they hadn't been applying the Windfall Elimination Provision when calculating my Benefit amount They say my benefit should be about $205/mo. instead of the $450/mom I have usually been given. Not only are they cutting my monthly benefit to $205, they are also demanding I repay the overpay I had been given n the past. This overpay amount now about $3,000.

Accountant's Assistant: What's your current age and retirement age?

Last week Social Security dropped a bomb-shell on me. They said they have been calculating my retirement benefit incorrectly. They said they hadn't been applying the Windfall Elimination Provision when calculating my Benefit Last week Social Security dropped a bomb-shell on me. They said they have been calculating my retirement benefit incorrectly. They said they hadn't been applying the Windfall Elimination Provision when calculating my Benefit amount They say my benefit should be about $205/mo. instead of the $450/mom I have usually been given. Not only are they cutting my monthly benefit to $205, they are also demanding I repay the overpay I had been given in the past. This overpay amount now about $3,000. This I can't repay. Even If I could repay it, I shouldn't have to. I find their claim to be preposterist

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Retirement Accountant to know before I connect you?

I would sure like to know where this wind fall they say I have been getting is.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Social Security
5/2/2018
Social Security Expert: Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer replied 2 months ago
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Sorry to disappoint you: because of privacy considerations, I cannot verify the numbers you received from the Social Security consideration, but if you have a substantial pension from government job(s) not subject to Social Security, the numbers seem plausible. We could go over the number of years you had jobs subject to Social Security, and the type of job, last time worked, and date retirement started for jobs not subject to Social Security, to confirm.

See https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf for Social Security's fact sheet.

The only good thing about it is that you (essentially) won't be taxed on the money you have to repay, per "claim of right" regulations.

Did You charge me $27.00 for something? I see that amount taken from my Debit/checking account. I never authorized it, so please reverse the charge.
I cannot see what you have been charged; only the management can see that. I'll request your charge (probably for a "membership") be refunded.However, if you are satisfied that my answer is complete and accurate, I would appreciate it if you would rate it, even if it does cost you.