Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I can't find my w2 from this past year. How can I get a

Customer Question
Hi, I can't find...

Hi, I can't find my w2 from this past year. How can I get a copy?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My accountant needs the form for completing my taxes.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Social Security
4/4/2018
Social Security Expert: Loren, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Just Answer is not associated with Social Security. So, we do not have access to your personal information.

To get a copy of your 1099-SSA you can

1. call 1-***-***-**** or

2. visit your local office or

3. go to https://secure.ssa.gov/apps6z/i1099/main.html and order the form online.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

This was a waste of my time and money!
I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other professionals. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active, or rate this question yet as it would then discourage others from answering. Should a professional pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.
There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying a response from someone else.
My apologies for any inconvenience and good luck.
Social Security Expert: Andy4712, Tax Attorney replied 3 months ago
Andy4712
Andy4712, Tax Attorney

You should contact your employer to get another copy.

I am retired.
Social Security Expert: Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer replied 3 months ago
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer

There's really no other option than to contact your (former) employer.

From the instructions for IRS form 4582:

• You should always attempt to get your Form W-2, Form W-2c, or Form 1099-R from your employer or payer before contacting the IRS or filing Form 4852. If you do not receive the missing or corrected form from your employer or payer by the end of February, you may call the IRS at 1-***-***-**** for assistance. You must provide your name, address (including ZIP code), phone number, social security number, and dates of employment. You must also provide your employer's or payer's name, address (including ZIP code), and phone number. The IRS will contact your employer or payer and request the missing form. The IRS will also send you a Form 4852. If you don't receive the missing form in sufficient time to file your income tax return timely, you may use the Form 4852 that the IRS sent you.

I've only used form 4852 once as a tax preparer, but the it was for an incorrect W-2, not for a missing W-2.

If you are in a state with a state income tax, you may also need that state's form,

Further alternative: After July 1, you can request a copy of the W-2 form from the Social Security Administration for $86, or a copy from the IRS for $43. You can request a transcript from the IRS in 2019 at no cost.