Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband passed away in Jan 2018....am I entitled to

Customer Question
My husband passed away...

My husband passed away in Jan 2018....am I entitled to receive his SS benefit check if it is more than mine? He was 68 nd I am now 69.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I received my normal check along with a supplement for the months of Feb and March but in April I only received one check.(mine)

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I received a letter telling me that I would only receive one check from then on which would be the amount of his check but that hasn't happened

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/3/2018
Social Security Expert: lucy7368, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
lucy7368
lucy7368, Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry for your loss.

You're entitled to receive a widow's benefit as long as the two of you were married for at least 9 months before he passed away. It should be the amount of his check as long as (a) it's more than what you are getting on your own and (b) he waited until his full retirement age to begin receiving benefits. If you already got a letter informing you that your check would be increased to the same amount your husband was getting, try calling Social Security to determine what the hold up is. The number is *****(###) ###-####

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any other questions about this?