Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband died after we were divorced. we were married

Customer Question
My husband died after...

My husband died after we were divorced. we were married 10+yrs. can I collect my benefits and half of his? I just spoke with "Malcome" at SS office and he said I could. I've always been told you can't collect on two SS numbers. Can I collect my benefits and half of his and receive 1 check?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I don't know. My ex husband is still living but terminally ill.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Social Security
4/3/2018
Social Security Expert: Loren, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Unfortunately, you were correctly advised. You are only entitled to collect benefits on one account. In other words, you are entitled to the greater of your account or the late ex's. You are not entitled to both at the same time.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels.

I am happy to continue if you have further questions.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.