Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am almost 65 june 22 this year I will 65. my question if I…

Customer Question
I am almost 65...

I am almost 65 june 22 this year I will 65. my question if I start my social security in june . can I keep working until I'm 66 and how much can I make income the rest of the year

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

If I keep working after 66 will I be able to make more income

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
4/3/2018
Social Security Expert: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 4 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Per Social Security,

"You can get Social Security retirement benefits and work at the same time. However, if you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, we will reduce your benefit. Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, we will not reduce your benefits no matter how much you earn.

• We use the following earnings limits to reduce your benefits: If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit.

For 2018 that limit is $17,040.

• In the year you reach full retirement age, we deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit, but we only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.

If you will reach full retirement age in 2018, the limit on your earnings for the months before full retirement age is $45,360.

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, you can get your benefits with no limit on your earnings."

Full retirement age is 66. So for 2018, you can earn up to $17,040 without any reduction in Social Security benefits.

After you reach 66, there is no limit to how much you can earn.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Is that from January to December or is that going to start after June

The earnings limit commences when you start receiving benefits in June.