Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Have been receiving SS for 2 years. Got hit with a bill for…

Customer Question
Hi, Have been receiving...

Hi, Have been receiving SS for 2 years. Got hit with a bill for taxes which was quite large this year. How can I have more taken out so I don't have this problem next year ?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I need to have them take the standard with holding

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

My husband receives about $800.00 a month from my SSI. He is waiting till he is 70 to start his own benefit.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Social Security
4/2/2018
Social Security Expert: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 3 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You will have to complete Form W-4V to have federal taxes withheld from your Social Security.

There is no "standard" amount. You decide whether you want 7%, 10%, 12%, or 22% withheld.

Here is the form: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4v.pdf

Once you have completed the form, you can mail it or deliver it in person to your local Social Security office.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.