Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I will be 66 on December 31 2019. I still plan to work I…

Customer Question
I will be 66...

I will be 66 on December 31 2019. I still plan to work I presently make $44K a year. When can I apply for SSA and still collect my benefits and keep my salary? I hear the laws have changed?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

No I should collect $1920 a month for SSA

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Social Security
4/2/2018
Social Security Expert: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 3 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You can work and receive your full Social Security benefits once you reach full retirement age, which is 66.

You will want to apply 3-4 months before December, 2019 to have your benefits start in December, 2019.

Also,

• In the year you reach full retirement age, Social Security will deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit, but they onlly count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.

If you will reach full retirement age in 2018, the limit on your earnings for the months before full retirement age is $45,360. This amount is increased each year.

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, you can get your benefits with no limit on your earnings.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

This is where I get confused. Since I turn 66 in December can I still collect my benefits in the fiscal year 2019 starting in January 2019 as long as I don't go over the $45,360 Or do I have to wait until Dec 2019 to collect my benefits. I saw on the SSA website that if I turned 66 in the that year I could collect SSA and continue to work as long as I stay under the $45360. See why I am confused?
I'd rather Text?
Sorry online chat....

Offers of phone calls are site generated. You can ignore them.

The limit on your earnings BEFORE full retirement age in 2019 will be approximately $45,360.

You will start to receive your benefits in December when you reach 66.

Now I guess my question is since I turn 66 in Dec 2019 can I start collecting in the beginning of 2019 - I know my SSA may be reduced but would my earnings cap?
Sorry to be a pain.Thank you Barb

If you will reach full retirement age in 2019, which you will, the limit on your earnings for the months BEFORE full retirement age is $45,360 (using the 2018 cap because 2019 is not available yet).

Make sense?

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Not at this time. Thank you Barbara

My pleasure.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. Please take a moment to rate my answer with a 5-star rating to let me know that I have achieved my goal.