Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am retired military and i will be 66 and 2 months on April…

Customer Question
I am retired military...

I am retired military and i will be 66 and 2 months on April 22 my brith date is 22 Feb 1952 i am told that i can not draw full ssn because i draw a miltary retirment is this ture

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Can draw ssn benefits with my miliotary retirement

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Social Security
3/31/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 19 days ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

That is not correct interpretation.

Your military benefits do NOT affect your social security benefits.

Moreover - if you serve in military - you might be eligible for additional earning credited for social security calculations.

What you likely were told is Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP)

The Windfall Elimination Provision can affect how we calculate your retirement or disability benefit. If you work for an employer who doesn’t withhold Social Security taxes from your salary, such as a government agency or an employer in another country, any retirement or disability pension you get from that work can reduce your Social Security benefits.

But military and VA benefits will NOT affect your social security benefit calculations.

Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 15 days ago

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues
lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor