Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My wife was 67 when she applied and i applied for my spousal…

Customer Question
My wife was 67...

My wife was 67 when she applied and i applied for my spousal benefit at age 66 (1951 birth date) in 5/17. I plan to apply for my (higher) benefit at age 70 and my wife to then apply for her spousal benefit-did i cut my full benefit by doing this?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

No, i just want to be sure i didn't cut off my ability to claim at 70 for full benefit and my wife get 50% of mine at that time. thanks

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/29/2018
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 3 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane - I hold a law degree, MBA in Finance, and a BBA, (and hold CFP and CPS designations as well).

My concentration in law school was tax law corporate law and Pension and retirement plans. I’ve been providing Social Security and Medicare advice (along with private pension and retirement plans as well) since 1986

...

I'm reading you question now - Bear with me a second while type up my response. Then if you still have question we can go from there.

No, becasue you both were full retirement age when doing what you did, you will receive the delayed retirement credits (8% per uear until age 70).

...

An your is always entitled to any larger benefit that she might receive. It's important to understand that benefits can't be "stacked," as SSA calls it, but if the spousal benefit is higher than her own, she can apply for that and receive.