Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My friend's husband just died. both are 64 years old. they…

Customer Question
My friend's husband just...

My friend's husband just died. both are 64 years old. they are refugees from cambodia and were married in a resettlement camp.They do not have a marriage license. what other documentation will SSA accept

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What are the proofs of a marriage for spousal benefits for social security

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

That is the main and only question

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/30/2018
Social Security Expert: PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
PhillipsEsq.
PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

My deepest sympathies for your loss.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

what are the proofs of a marriage for spousal benefits for social security

Response: For documents list, click here:

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-10.html

• Proof of the worker's death;
  • Birth certificate or other proof of birth;
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];
  • U.S. military discharge paper(s) if you had military service before 1968;
  • For disability benefits, the two forms (SSA-3368 and SSA-827) that describe your medical condition and authorize disclosure of information to us;
  • W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year;
  • Final divorce decree, if applying as a surviving divorced spouse; and
  • Marriage certificate.

If there is no Marriage Certificate, Social Security Administration would provide specific instruction on what other document she has to provide in order to prove that the marriage did infact take place.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

For more information, click here