Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Am ex spouse of man born 12/11/1955. I was born 1/30/1951.

Customer Question
Thank you. am ex...

Thank you. am ex spouse of man born 12/11/1955. I was born 1/30/1951. My earnings are much less than ex spouse. I want to know if I don't wait to file for social security can I get my social security refigured when my exspouse files at age 66?

Accountant's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

TX

Accountant's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Nothing at the moment. trying to figure it out.

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are both not married

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/28/2018
Social Security Expert: PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law replied 4 months ago
PhillipsEsq.
PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

Response: If you are eligible to receive benefits under your ex-spouse's earnings, Social Security Administration does not have to wait until your ex-spouse applies for benefits in order to pay you under his earnings if receiving under his earnings would be higher if he is now eligible to receive benefits but has decided not to apply yet. So, based on your information here, Social Security Administration would make this determination when you apply for your benefits since your ex is now eligible to receive benefits. For more information, click here.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/yourdivspouse.html

Best wishes,

<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.

Very professional as well as helpful.He acted as if he cared about what he is doing in providing advice. Phillips Esquire

Thank you very much for your generous comments.

Kindly use the popup screen to give the rating.

Thank you for your cooperation and have a wonderful day!