Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I'am on Med i cal and SSI and I'want to know what my Limit's…

Customer Question
I'am on Med i...

I'am on Med i cal and SSI and I'want to know what my Limit's are as Far as owning property.? and can I'have a Saving's account..? Your Help will be very appreciated.' Pamela ********.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Yes I'am on disability .

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/28/2018
Social Security Expert: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

There is a $2000 limit in savings that you can have under Medi-Cal for a single person and $3000 for a couple. This includes all accounts. Additionally, all property other than the primary residence is considered an asset under Medi-Cal which can lead to elimination of Medi-Cal, but not your disability benefits which are not dependent upon your assets, but your disability.

So, your disability benefits you can have whatever you want in the bank and own as much property as you want, the limits are for receiving Medi-Cal with your disability.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.