Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband passed away Dec 2015. I wanted to know if I can…

My husband passed away...

My husband passed away Dec 2015. I wanted to know if I can collect full social security benefits of my deceased husband if I was to retire at 63 years old.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have been working at the same employment for 37 years and would like to find out if I was to retire early, at age 63, can I collect my deceased husbands full monthly retirement benefits that he was collecting before he passed away.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I am currently working full time but want to retire if possible.

3/27/2018
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

If you are the widow or widower of a person who worked long enough under Social Security, you can:

• receive full benefits at full retirement age for survivors or reduced benefits as early as age 60.

• begin receiving benefits as early as age 50 if you are disabled and the disability started before or within seven years of the worker's death.

​So - yes - you are eligible for benefits as a surviving spouse.

You will be eligible for full benefits at age 66 - but if you start at 63 - your survival benefits will be permanently reduced.

You still may switch to your own unreduced benefits at later time - up to age 70 - and receive the maximum of your own benefits.

.

Please be aware that if you start benefits now - before your FRA - your earning will be limited.

For 2018 - the limit is $17,040

Let me know if you need any help with determination.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
If my husband was getting 2200 monthly on full retirement . What would that go down to if I retired 3 years before full retirement?

If you will start getting survival benefits at your FRA for survivals that is 66 - you will be getting $2200

If you choose to start at 63 - your benefits will be 85.8% of that amount - but you will be getting benefits for additional 36 months.

If your own benefits are smaller - you may start with your own benefits and switch to survival benefits at age 66.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thank you very much.
Highly satisfied with answers

How do I rate an answer?

You can give your rating by selecting one of the five stars located on the top right of the question page. Giving a positive rating compensates the Expert for their time with you. Your Expert will not be paid until you rate the answer. If the stars are grayed out or you cannot click on the stars to rate your experience, reply to your Expert and let them know so they can adjust your question and allow you to rate.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor