Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am a widow, and my step grandchild who is disabled has…

Customer Question
I am a widow...

I am a widow, and my step grandchild who is disabled has claimed benefits under my husbands benefits. Which is ok. I have also claimed benefits. Now her adopted mother is claiming benefits. Her adopted mother could claim on her mother’s or her natural fathers, is there in way to stop her from claiming on my husbands?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Only that I have appealed this and need to hire someone who understands all this laws. How soon can I get an answer?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/28/2018
Social Security Expert: PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 months ago
PhillipsEsq.
PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry, but I am having difficulty understanding your post.

Who adopted the mother?

Kindly review your post, edit, properly identify the parties and your issues, ask specific question(s), and resubmit.

Thank you for your cooperation,

Ok Sorry, in my husbands first marriage he adopted his wife’s daughter. She is disabled and receives SSI and has all her life. As an adult she had three kids the state took them away and we received two of them. These are my step grand children by law. One of them is disabled and she also received SSI just like her natural mother. My husband died and according to SS
My grand child and I can claim off of the whole amount available of around 1850.00 divided by two, (her and I would receive about 925 each). Now her natural mother is making a claim on my husbands SS also. Can she receive part of that money, if not how can I stop her.

Thank you for the information.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when your response came in.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Can she receive part of that money, if not how can I stop her.

Response: Yes, she can as the surviving disabled daughter. Unfortunately, you cannot stop her from filing for the benefits.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you. However, as an Attorney and an Officer of the Court, I have ethical and professional obligation to provide you with accurate and honest information eventhough that information may not be in your favor.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.