Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I have been told that as a veteran, i am eligible to receive…

Customer Question
I have been told...

I have been told that as a veteran, i am eligible to receive additional benefits from social security

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Am i eligible for additional income benefits while serving in the armed forces prior to 1957

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I am at this point not sure if i can provide any additional information

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/27/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 3 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

If you served in the military from 1940 through 1956, including attendance at a service academy, you didn’t pay Social Security taxes.

However, your Social Security record may be credited with $160 a month in earnings for military service from September 16, 1940, through December 31, 1956, under the following circumstances:

• You were honorably discharged after 90 or more days of service, or you were released because of a disability or injury received in the line of duty; or
• You’re still on active duty; or
• You’re applying for survivors benefits and the veteran died while on active duty.

.

You can’t receive credit for these special earnings if you’re already receiving a federal benefit based on the same years of service.

There is one exception:

If you were on active duty after 1956, you can still get the special earnings for 1951 through 1956, even if you’re receiving a military retirement based on service during that period.
These extra earnings credits are added to your earnings record when you apply for Social Security benefits.

Let me know your zip code and I will find a local SSA office serving your area.

My zip# ***** *****

Address:SUITE 400
621 NW 53 ST
BOCA RATON, FL 33487

OFFICE IS LOCATED NEAR THE NE CORNER OF CONGRESS AVE AND YAMATO ROAD ( NORTH OF YAMATO ROAD JUST WEST OF I-95) IN THE ARVIDA PARK OF COMMERCE OFFICE COMPLEX - ONE PARK PLACE - 7-STORY BUILDING ADJACENT TO THE EMBASSY SUITES HOTEL.

.

Phone:1-800_772_1213 TTY:1-800_325_0778

Hours:

Monday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Tuesday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Wednesday9:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Thursday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Friday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

SaturdayClosed

SundayClosed

.

What you need to verify - if the special earnings for military service was credited to your social security account.

If yes - there is nothing to worry.

If no - you will need to provide your supporting documents and ask for adjustments.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.