Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband retired at age 64 and started drawing Social

Customer Question
My husband retired at...

My husband retired at age 64 and started drawing Social Security. In 2014, we were given permanent custody of our then 1 year old grandson. We still have permanent custody. The biological mother is recently deceased. Can we apply for dependent benefits for our grandson based on my husband's social security benefit?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I am still working and planning to retire next year at age 64.5 and will draw my social security. My son is the biological father but he lives in another state and is presently in a drug recovery program.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 3 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Can we apply for dependent benefits for our grandson based on my husband's social security benefit?

Under certain circumstances, we can also pay benefits to a stepchild, grandchild, stepgrandchild, or adopted child.

Generally, the biological parents of the child must be deceased or disabled, or the grandchild must be legally adopted by the grandparent.

In addition, the grandchild must have begun living with the grandparent before age 18 and received at least one half of his or her support from the grandparent for the year before the month the grandparent became entitled to retirement or disability insurance benefits, or died.

Also, the natural parent(s) of the child must not be making regular contributions to his or her support.

Let me know if you need any help.