Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband died in 2010 and when I went to the SS office to…

Customer Question
My husband died in...

My husband died in 2010 and when I went to the SS office to notify them of his death and claim spouses benefits I was told I could not receive any benefits. We were maridm19 yrs. and both starte collecint a age 62. Why would I not be entitledto some of his payments>

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Not at this time

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/25/2018
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 3 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

What where his benefits at the time of his death and how much were you getting?

I was receiving 1059.92 and my husband received1034.00

Your widow benefits would be about 750, which is less than your own benefits. If you apply for social security benefits before your full retirement age you cannot choose which benefits to take. You have to take the highest benefits available to you at that time. The only exception is if you applied for widow benefits before you applied for your own. In that case you could get 750 until your full retirement age or until 70 and than switch to your own that would have increased in meantime.

Unfortunately you can only get one benefits at the time, you cannot collect widow benefits on top of your own.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?