Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am having an issue with continuing my son. I am having an…

I am having an...

I am having an issue with continuing my son

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am having an issue continuing my son's social security benefits as he turned 18 but won't graduate until July.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I am needing someone familiar with ssbenefits for children and the form ss 1372

I need to give you the full information. I receive ssec benefits as I am 63 and my son had been receiving benefits too. When he turned 18, we filled out the form 1372. He is schooled at home through Bridgeway Academy, an accredited homeschool academy that is recognized by the Nat Ass of Private Schools, as well as others. Initially we were told (after a phone call to the SS office that if a child is schooled at home that the parent should sign as the school official). After sending this in, I found out this info was incorrect. So we talked to his school and were told that they needed to sign as the school official certification. So we redid the form and took it down to the SS office. Since my son does his schooling through Bridgeway's online curriculum, we checked under "Type of School program" Homeschool, but also put accredited online school. We were told my son would get a letter in the mail....this was back in Oct. We called numerous times but could get no information. So we went back down to the SS office and after a nearly 4 hour wait were told that they needed verification that Bridgeway was a "cyper chartered school". I contacted the school and they are sending a verification of attendance letter, their accreditation certification from the NAPS and their certificate from the Advanced Accreditation Commission. They are willing to help in any way....my son has been schooling there for 6 years now. I am thinking that the problem has come with listing the "accredited online school" description. Should we have my son fill out a new 1372( listing it as a homeschool academy)to send to them with all this additional documentation coming from his school? Is that allowable? His advisor and school are happy to help but a little confused as they have filled out the form numerous times for other students and those students did not get push back or they all got their benefits. Sorry this is so long but we just want to proceed in the right way. Thankyou!
3/25/2018
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
I’m ok to wait a little longer as I’d really like some advice.
PhillipsEsq.
PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

Should we have my son fill out a new 1372( listing it as a homeschool academy)to send to them with all this additional documentation coming from his school?

Response: No, not at this time. You should not complete another form until you hear back from Social Security Administration ("SSA"). Also, if you complete another form, that may delay the adjudication of the case some more. So, it is good to wait hear from SSA to see if the information that you recently provided is sufficient or if you have to complete yet another form.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Thanks for your response... I think I need to make it clear that we have not sent anything to Social Security since our visit. The way we left it was that they wanted verification that Bridgeway was “cyber accredited school.” Because my son mistakenly put on the form it was in online private school, they are looking under the rules for a cyber school. Bridgeway is an accredited homeschool Academy that offers online curriculum. That’s what my son uses. They have accreditation and verification from the private school organization and have one of the best homeschool curriculums around. The school is sending copies of verification for what they are and an official letter of attendance for my son. They are sending these here to our home. But I don’t feel like any of this will satisfy them since they are looking under the rules for a cyber school. I did not think that I could just cross this out on the application and that’s why I asked if he should fill out a new one. Can I put a letter with it stating that Bridgeway is a homeschool Academy and not a cyber school? I did not know if this would make matters worse or what. We are just trying to get the benefits that he was supposed to get until he graduates. I am supposed to send what I get to the local office here in Austin and direct it to the particular person that is handling our case. So it shouldn’t have to go through all of the different steps that it did before. As you can tell, I have very little experience dealing with Social Security because it was very easy to get my benefits. So I am just trying to follow by the rules here. Thanks again for any additional help you can give me.

Thank you for the information.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when your response came in.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for the information.

Under the circumstances, you should send it a completely new application form and provide the supporting documents.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Thank you for getting back to me again. Let me also say that I will definitely be paying you extra for this as you have been very patient with me. Just to be clear, you are advising that I have my son fill out a new 1372 form and mark the box that just says homeschool? Then, can I send that here (along with the school documents) to the local office with attention to the particular lady that has been working on our case? Do I need to get his school to fill out their part again on the 1372 to date it today so it will be up to date? If so I will need to get her to sign it and email it to me or fax it to me, because coming from Pennsylvania it takes about a week. Is that OK? And, should I put a note with it telling her that Bridgeway Is actually a homeschool Academy and that’s what we should have put in first place? Or will she just see that this is a replacement form and disregard the other one? They will need to know that this is an ongoing claim because I probably would have run out of time otherwise. I think they give you 60 days to respond or something like that, but no one there let me know that they were needing more information on the earlier claim. I guess I am the one being picky now but I have heard many stories about Social security denying benefits because of little things so I’m wanting to get it right. That’s why I am reaching out to you. Again, thank you for answering all these questions and being so patient with me.

Thank you for the information.

Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for getting back to me again. Let me also say that I will definitely be paying you extra for this as you have been very patient with me. Just to be clear, you are advising that I have my son fill out a new 1372 form and mark the box that just says homeschool?

Response 1: Yes, that is correct.

Then, can I send that here (along with the school documents) to the local office with attention to the particular lady that has been working on our case?

Response 2: Yes, you can.

Do I need to get his school to fill out their part again on the 1372 to date it today so it will be up to date?

Response 3: Yes.

If so I will need to get her to sign it and email it to me or fax it to me, because coming from Pennsylvania it takes about a week. Is that OK?

Response 4: Yes. However, if she can scan it and then e-mail it that would be better. That way, it would be hard to tell whether it is a copy or the original signature.

And, should I put a note with it telling her that Bridgeway Is actually a homeschool Academy and that’s what we should have put in first place?

Response 5: Yes, should do. That would be the prudent thing to do.

Or will she just see that this is a replacement form and disregard the other one?

Response 6: I will not assume anything with a government agency, if I were you. It is always good to attach explanation on what you are submitting and why you are submitting it.

They will need to know that this is an ongoing claim because I probably would have run out of time otherwise. I think they give you 60 days to respond or something like that, but no one there let me know that they were needing more information on the earlier claim. I guess I am the one being picky now but I have heard many stories about Social security denying benefits because of little things so I’m wanting to get it right. That’s why I am reaching out to you. Again, thank you for answering all these questions and being so patient with me.

Response 7: Being picky and thorough are always good when applying for benefits with the government. So, I do not have any problem with your questions.

Goodluck with your case,

PhillipsEsq.
PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law
Thanks so much! You have been so helpful. Have a great night!

You are quite Welcome!

Best wishes,